Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Is anyone else embarrassed to mention they suffer anxiety?

I suffer anxiety, selective agoraphobia and anxiety attacks. Being male I feel very embarrassed to tell people I suffer from this condition just hoping that my condition goes when I get my counselling. At present I'm unemployed and on ESA. A friend I know In my street keeps asking why I'm not working. He is becoming an annoyance.

But I don't want to tell him I suffer anxiety, it's not even like he's a close long term friend. I just would feel so embarrassed to say that I had anxiety issues. I've tried lying and all sorts but he finds out. It seems a terrible thing to say but I almost feel as ashamed of telling people I'm suffering anxiety as it would be if I had HIV or AIDS. There seems to be a lot of stigma against mental health issues from society but also the government and media who see people like us as scroungers.

I really want to get the counselling and get back to work but it's getting through the meantime. What should I do?

Anxiety thrives on avoidance, concealing, hiding it.
    Open up to others, and the anxiety will alleviate.
    Best wishes!

E-Man
    I made a sock puppet,..and liked it. SO THEN I JUST TOOK A PILL.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree - you may be surprised at the amount of people that have it. But if they are not understanding - let them be.

Quote Originally Posted by Enduronman View Post
    Anxiety thrives on avoidance, concealing, hiding it.
    Open up to others, and the anxiety will alleviate.
    Best wishes!

E-Man

I think there is still remaining stigma when it comes to mental health issues. I don't tell people, generally, that I have anxiety. It is really none of anyone's business. When it comes up -- which is rare for me -- I might just say "I am not feeling well today." Nobody asks beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by Exactice View Post
    Long Post but as usual great post.... Im Suffering you need a buddy to do some cliff notes LOL!

Anyways, This is a great point..... you have Anxiety.... SO WHAT!!! So what.... what does that mean? Nothing....

Now here is some interesting stats

Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S., affecting 40 million adults in the United States age 18 and older (18% of U.S. population).

40 Million in America Alone, 18 and up. So really in adults thats like 30-40% Population.... that means 1 in 3 Adults have it.... Its not uncommon, Here is another stat

Acne is the most common skin disorder in the United States, affecting 40 million to 50 million Americans.

Acne..... Same amount of people affected..... Do you think Acne people suffer like we do? Nope and why? Because we questions our selves so much.

So like Im-Suffering makes the point... why have low self esteem, its common dont beat yourself, if anything find others (like here) and share your thoughts and feelings!
    I posted this, many people are affected by it, just like Acne, so why be shame or embarrassed there are many that suffer from it and you might make a friend that could understand you! E-man said it too, avoidance is what anxiety thrives on. You dont have to announce it to the world, but dont go out of your way to avoid it!

Heck NO, anxiety is part of life. It's what keeps me going, and what keeps me from going too fast too...W/o a bit-o anxiety I would be an even bigger LUMP. A bit of the anxiety for me is what keeps me inhaling the Oxygen supply to thy brain.