Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Benzos

What is a PCP by the way?
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Quote Originally Posted by gypsylee View Post
    What is a PCP by the way?
    Primary Care Physician

Ohh that's the same as our General Practitioners I think.
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Quote Originally Posted by gypsylee View Post
    Ohh that's the same as our General Practitioners I think.
    Yes, my family/general doctor.

The guy who said serotonin doesn't play much of a role in anxiety is probably correct. And serotonin probably accounts for the paradoxical increase in anxiety in the first 2 weeks of SSRI use, researchers really are either stupid or greedy or desperate (it costs a lot of money to research new drugs). However, SSRI's do other things too and some people have certain imbalances that actually do benefit from mild serotonin increases, but not by very much compared to the other effects of the SSRI's. There are a few old studies about asministration of serotonin itself (not by SSRI) inducing aggression, reducing brain levels of ATP etc. I can't post them though because I haven't posted 25 times yet. Activating most serotonin receptors (at least 5HT1A and 5HT2A) actually causes a paradoxical action of reducing systemic serotonin. Good news is that metabotropic glutamate receptor antagonists/agonists look like promising new drugs. Also, apparently Pregabalin acts though GABA in a different way than benzos and isn't reported to have the same tolerance/dependance problems. Most likely tolerance only develops as a result of the patient's own enzyme that converts GABA to glutamate or that they don't have enough free glutamate to convert to GABA.
    Last edited by Blinkyrocket; 01-01-2016 at 03:55 PM.

You can get Xanax fairly easily in the U.S. If one doctor doesn't like to give a prescription for benzos, there are three others that will. You just go to another doctor. I asked the pharmacist if they fill a lot of prescriptions for Xanax and they said, "yes, we have a lot of prescriptions for that particular drug."

I was on Valium but it started giving me vertigo so I recently switched to Xanax. Both have really helped me. I'm in the US. Some doctors don't like to give them because they can be addicting.