Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Agoraphobia at work??

I recently transferred to a new college campus. Before I moved I was experiencing anxiety over the summer at work. I went to the doctor and she said many people experience anxiety during big changes in their life. I was moving, transferring, on my own for the first time, etc. I was so anxious at work all the time, I kept on feeling like I was physically sick so I quit my job and focused on packing and moving. When I moved I felt okay for the most part. I was still anxious about school, classes, etc. I saw a counselor recently and she said I have slight agoraphobia. Sometimes if the bus is packed for school, I really have to fight the urge to push my way through everyone else to get off. If I'm in a big, unfamiliar building I have to memorize the way out and know where the bathrooms are. Now I'm looking for a job again, but I'm so afraid that I'm going to experience the same things at work. I have a job interview today for a part-time job. How do you deal with symptoms when you're working? For me, it's the worst when it gets buys at work. I have an interview at a cafe today and my biggest fear is that it will get super busy and there will be nobody there to help me and I won't be able to take a break. How can I calm myself down if it gets busy?

Quote Originally Posted by kaybeee View Post
    I recently transferred to a new college campus. Before I moved I was experiencing anxiety over the summer at work. I went to the doctor and she said many people experience anxiety during big changes in their life. I was moving, transferring, on my own for the first time, etc. I was so anxious at work all the time, I kept on feeling like I was physically sick so I quit my job and focused on packing and moving. When I moved I felt okay for the most part. I was still anxious about school, classes, etc. I saw a counselor recently and she said I have slight agoraphobia. Sometimes if the bus is packed for school, I really have to fight the urge to push my way through everyone else to get off. If I'm in a big, unfamiliar building I have to memorize the way out and know where the bathrooms are. Now I'm looking for a job again, but I'm so afraid that I'm going to experience the same things at work. I have a job interview today for a part-time job. How do you deal with symptoms when you're working? For me, it's the worst when it gets buys at work. I have an interview at a cafe today and my biggest fear is that it will get super busy and there will be nobody there to help me and I won't be able to take a break. How can I calm myself down if it gets busy?
    What does this say to you, what you have written? When the anxiety speaks what does it tell, if you could translate fear and skepticism into words? It is not the reaction you should be looking at but the reason for the reaction. Now if you feel uncomfortable in a busy pressure setting, other than the standard "I need the money" why are you there, as a test?

No, it is teaching you that you can create your reality, the anxiety is mostly from perceived events forced upon you. You are forced to do this and that although you'd rather prefer not.

It is teaching you that you create your life and can do anything with it. Things will work out no matter what you choose, but telling you that you could choose better. Since you have anxiety, and feel rather badly about it, you put yourself in situations that test those feelings, as if you want to be superman, and show yourself courage.

We'll that doesn't work, no need to test and play games about it, when there are infinite avenues you can take, many of which you will find comfort, and maybe even passion.

You create your own reality. Simply.....choose.....better.
    Last edited by Im-Suffering; 09-17-2014 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Im-Suffering View Post
    What does this say to you, what you have written? When the anxiety speaks what does it tell, if you could translate fear and skepticism into words? It is not the reaction you should be looking at but the reason for the reaction. Now if you feel uncomfortable in a busy pressure setting, other than the standard "I need the money" why are you there, as a test?

No, it is teaching you that you can create your reality, the anxiety is mostly from perceived events forced upon you. You are forced to do this and that although you'd rather prefer not.

It is teaching you that you create your life and can do anything with it. Things will work out no matter what you choose, but telling you that you could choose better. Since you have anxiety, and feel rather badly about it, you put yourself in situations that test those feelings, as if you want to be superman, and show yourself courage.

We'll that doesn't work, no need to test and play games about it, when there are infinite avenues you can take, many of which you will find comfort, and maybe even passion.

You create your own reality.
    Good advice. I'll try to keep that in mind. But, what are you saying about this job? Are you saying I shouldn't take it? I guess it's just any job in general makes me anxious. Just knowing that I have to be there and I can't leave. That's what causes me anxiety. But, I don't want my anxiety to be the reason that I can't keep a job. I used to love my workplace and then one day I had a bad experience where it got really busy and there was nobody there to help me. I started panicking with the customers and even had to step outside for a second and then call another employee in. I think this is the cause of me feeling this way. I really want to push myself to be able to get over this because I know it's just negative thinking that nobody will be there to help me.

Quote Originally Posted by kaybeee View Post
    Good advice. I'll try to keep that in mind. But, what are you saying about this job? Are you saying I shouldn't take it? I guess it's just any job in general makes me anxious. Just knowing that I have to be there and I can't leave. That's what causes me anxiety. But, I don't want my anxiety to be the reason that I can't keep a job. I used to love my workplace and then one day I had a bad experience where it got really busy and there was nobody there to help me. I started panicking with the customers and even had to step outside for a second and then call another employee in. I think this is the cause of me feeling this way. I really want to push myself to be able to get over this because I know it's just negative thinking that nobody will be there to help me.
    I want you to understand, there is a different world then the one you are so focused upon. There is a calmer, more peaceful, lovely experience awaiting you. Relaxed, creative, lively, and suited to your abilities and gifts. A miraculous, magical environment where you feel so at rest, so at peace, so passionate about, you would ask, where have you been all my life?

Now in the situation you were in at the previous job, what was in your best interests? "Today it was really busy, and I was alone, that is not fair. To me or the service to the customers. I suggest this never happens again I will not stand for it, make sure from now on there is always backup, or I won't be here any longer, even as much as I do enjoy it."

Solving problems swiftly and assuredly, with your best interests and highest regard will never cause anxiety. Now, doubtful, reluctant, unsure, worrisome about if that experience will happen again, because it has remained unsolved like a cut that won't heal.

Creating your reality sometimes involves confrontation, or a little normal aggression to speak your truth, to be who you are and not stand for anything less than your best interests.

That takes courage, fortitude, persistence, determination, and relentless action towards its attainment symbolically showing you that you are more than capable.

You have fell back into passivity, and thus accept anything thrust upon you with nary a wince, and this is damaging indeed as you are now feeling the emotions of it.

You will not stand back and stand down, or be a doormat for money. You will stand up and be counted, giving your time and energy and being the best you can be, standing for no nonsense. One day you may open your own business, it's easier than you think. Until then decide who you are and let no one influence that. "Today was a bad day, and sometimes that will happen, but I will not allow it to happen again, I will speak up, and resolve this issue. And if no one listens, I will be on my way, to find what's right for me"

No need to be scared then, of getting stuck.
    Last edited by Im-Suffering; 09-17-2014 at 11:12 AM.