Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Foggy Brain Relief? Academics?

Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone has any advice for dealing with the brain fog that sometimes comes about as a symptom of anxiety.

I have GAD and normally I can manage my symptoms by exercising and trying to put them out of mind but I'm in my final year of high school and have very high expectations for myself in terms of results. I know it isn't the end of the world if I don't achieve what I'm aiming for, but I would certainly be very disappointed. As the exams are only a couple of months away I'm getting more and more stressed and my cognition is definitely suffering (difficulty concentrating has also been an issue for me). I try reading more and exercising but it hasn't helped very much. My GP prescribed me Zoloft but I am worried about the side effects (seizures etc... regardless of how rare!) because my health is a big concern for me. I would like to take the medication just for the exam period because I don't want to my anxiety or slow brain to compromise my performance, but if there's anything I can do to alleviate the symptoms naturally I would much prefer that.

Any tips? Thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by Emilym80 View Post
    I have very high expectations for myself in terms of results. Any tips? Thanks very much
    There's your main problem.
    Self imposed pressure and high expectations.
    Relax, do the best that you can, and what ever happens, happens.
    Take the medications as directed and you may realize that it helps to lift this brain fog as well.

E-Man
    I made a sock puppet,..and liked it. SO THEN I JUST TOOK A PILL.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Enduronman View Post
    There's your main problem.
    Self imposed pressure and high expectations.
    Relax, do the best that you can, and what ever happens, happens.
    Take the medications as directed and you may realize that it helps to lift this brain fog as well.

E-Man
    Thanks- that helps to put things into perspective

I am a nerd, with anxiety. I am expected by others to be very clever, but recently I've been mediocre in most of my subjects at my school, only English I think clearly in. The rest, I seem to be like only half there, as if words of the teachers have no meaning.
    I suppose if you manage anxiety; get it to a healthy level, then in turn your focus and therefore academic ability will follow
    What you think, you become

Joe and Enduroman are absolutly right !

Manage your anxiety and the brain fog will lift (it did for me).

Medication is one thing but you can take action against your anxiety in many other forms :

1-meditation
    2-Cardiac coherence (Google it)
    3-light aerobic exercise
    4-Optimal hormone levels (rule out adrenal fatigue)

Good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by Joe. View Post
    I am a nerd, with anxiety. I am expected by others to be very clever, but recently I've been mediocre in most of my subjects at my school, only English I think clearly in. The rest, I seem to be like only half there, as if words of the teachers have no meaning.
    I suppose if you manage anxiety; get it to a healthy level, then in turn your focus and therefore academic ability will follow
    Thanks for replying. I know what you mean- it's very frustrating :/ best of luck with your studies and take care

Hey Enduroman! I'm in Indiana also! Did you mention once on here that you have occippital neuralgia? I have had it for a few years now as a result of anxiety and I am so sick of it! I can't even think straight. A vice around my head. How did you treat it? I'm taking Buspar, it keeps me from having ocd so bad. carbemazepine and clonanazepam. Its a wicked thing to have and I just want to be rid of it. What was your experience and do you still have it? Thanks for the input

I've never actually experienced focus. I know that sounds weird, but I can't physically do it. Lifelong chronic "brain fog". When I was on clonanazepam it was even worse. Recently my partner suggested I try phenylpiracetam. It's a nootropic that I found actually worked. I was able to sit down and work for over 3 hours without getting distracted (which may seem like 'no big deal' but it really is a big deal to me). Now I'll take it every other week or so when I need the extra help with my work. I also HAVE to stack it with a 2000% alpha-gpc dose otherwise I'll get a 2 day migraine.

I have issues with brain fog on and off. It seems to get worse when I'm in a depression (not necessarily affecting my mood, just depressive symptoms--not wanting to do anything, sleepiness, lack of motivation, etc). I don't know if that's the same case for you or not but one thing I do is try to structure my day a little better to get myself into a groove. Since I freelance I have to depend on being able to move past it.

In small increments, I will block out time. I do this in half-hour blocks because it's easier for me to time it, but you can do as little as 5 minutes (don't push too hard or you will say "aw screw this"). It's important to realize that any time block no matter how small will help you reach your goal. This time will be dedicated to doing what you need to do--study, essays, work, whatever. You will find your mind wandering during this time. It's ok. Acknowledge it as soon as you can, and wait for it to come back. You will want to do other things during this time period, too. That's alright too, realize your mind is wandering again and wait for it to come back. You may even feel some emotional pain to do this work that you're supposed to be doing. That's ok too, because it will also pass. This way work becomes a form of meditation which will help you get over the stress of performing.

Before you know it, you will have at least a start to your work. That means it will be easier the next time you block out time to do it. Don't stop, but take well-deserved breaks and block out more time.

If you block out the time you need to absolutely keep that dedicated to what you are doing (no facebook, no texting). Your mind will wander like I said, but don't beat yourself up over it. The time you spend doing "actual work" will be less foggy, more focused, and you will notice the fog may be lifted for longer and longer.

I have to keep tricking myself into working like this, because as a freelancer if I don't work then I do not get paid and I can lose my apartment. Even though the stakes are high (as yours are too--they always are in academics) this rarely works as a single primary motivating factor to do what you need to. Hopefully this helps a little.

Hello there,

My friend's kid who has anxiety is having lots of focus and concentration issues too! He's taking exams in a few weeks and doesn't know what to do... For his anxiety, they have him doing the various natural things (herbal supplements, exercise, affirmations, etc.) and it has been really helpful over the years. Now, they are trying to figure out the best natural ways to help him with this... He has some struggles throughout the year with his memory and paying attention, but it's now becoming a problem alongside his anxiety.

Have you found help with your "brain fog"? Was it definitely a symptom of your GAD?

Community, help?

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Emilym80 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone has any advice for dealing with the brain fog that sometimes comes about as a symptom of anxiety.

I have GAD and normally I can manage my symptoms by exercising and trying to put them out of mind but I'm in my final year of high school and have very high expectations for myself in terms of results. I know it isn't the end of the world if I don't achieve what I'm aiming for, but I would certainly be very disappointed. As the exams are only a couple of months away I'm getting more and more stressed and my cognition is definitely suffering (difficulty concentrating has also been an issue for me). I try reading more and exercising but it hasn't helped very much. My GP prescribed me Zoloft but I am worried about the side effects (seizures etc... regardless of how rare!) because my health is a big concern for me. I would like to take the medication just for the exam period because I don't want to my anxiety or slow brain to compromise my performance, but if there's anything I can do to alleviate the symptoms naturally I would much prefer that.

Any tips? Thanks very much