Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Anxiety Without a Cause?

Historically, my anxiety was always related to some particular event or concern, which I could easily identify. Usually, it related to something I did or said -- and then later I regretted it and worried a lot about the consequences -- often jumping to the worst case scenario. Sometimes it did not relate to anything I said or did, such as my concern about getting the same illness that killed by father. But it was always something I could point to. I always KNEW why I was anxious -- even if I was sometimes powerless to do anything about it.

More recently, there are times, including now, when I feel a level of tension and anxiety without any obvious cause. In some ways, that is even more troubling. When I know the cause, at least I can try to analyze it, try to use the skills I learned through CBT, etc. Or try to do something practical, to ameliorate the concern. But when I just feel anxious and stressed and on edge without any obvious cause, it is harder to address.

I guess it could be a combination of factors -- some challenges in my family relationships, a very sick mother, a long list of things I need to get done, some significant stresses at work, etc. But I cannot pin it to anything in particular.

And when I feel this sort of general anxiety and then something particular happens that induces anxiety -- something I can point to -- it is even worse. It is sort of like starting at a higher baseline anxiety level, and then going up from there.

Does this make any sense? Any similar experiences? Thanks.

When I felt as you describe, it was usually me being anxious about the possibility of being anxious

Wasn't a direct cause, just worried what may happen to cause that feeling again

Fear of fear

Go figure
    "Y'all didn't have to shoot me" ~ Harambe

Yup -- like FDR said, about 80 years ago: "The only thing we have to fear is...fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror...."

In a way, I think you figured out the cause of your anxiety and it most likely is all those things you mentioned. Definitely enough to give someone anxiety. The one thing you can do that is positive is start tackling that long list of things to do.

Maybe it's GAD? (Eh, now you can go worry about that... haha)
    GAD is when you're worried for rather prolonged periods of time with no apparent reason -- more like a physical illness than a mental really, where the anxiety is the core of the problem itself -- nothing else.

I have had two therapists. One thought I did not have GAD. The other thought I did. Who knows. I guess there is no way to make a definitive diagnosis, as there would be with a blood test.

Yes, it could be attributable to the list of factors I identified (plus some that I did not). Or it could be GAD. Or some combination.

The suggestion to tackle the "to do" list is a good one. That is very much along my way of thinking -- if you have a problem, go out and solve it rather than bemoaning its existence. What is challenging is (1) the list seems to grow rather than shrink, with new items added frequently, and (2) I have a demanding high level management position, which requires full time and attention and then some. I am grateful for the good income, but it does not help with the anxiety!

But really I don't think the to do list is the main problem. Indeed, sometimes it serves as a useful distraction. The anxiety is worst during down time.

Anyway, thanks to all for your insights.

" sit in the fear and let it speak" good advice for me....our mind and body are trying to tell me something

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    I have had two therapists. One thought I did not have GAD. The other thought I did. Who knows. I guess there is no way to make a definitive diagnosis, as there would be with a blood test.

Yes, it could be attributable to the list of factors I identified (plus some that I did not). Or it could be GAD. Or some combination.

The suggestion to tackle the "to do" list is a good one. That is very much along my way of thinking -- if you have a problem, go out and solve it rather than bemoaning its existence. What is challenging is (1) the list seems to grow rather than shrink, with new items added frequently, and (2) I have a demanding high level management position, which requires full time and attention and then some. I am grateful for the good income, but it does not help with the anxiety!

But really I don't think the to do list is the main problem. Indeed, sometimes it serves as a useful distraction. The anxiety is worst during down time.

Anyway, thanks to all for your insights.
    For all readers, past and future, this is for them as well, so we will address all of you, years in advance.

Your query was :

"More recently, there are times, including now, when I feel a level of tension and anxiety without any obvious cause"

And again, the full complete answer for healing is within the following paragraph:

The nature of your personal beliefs in a large measure directs the
    kinds of emotions you will have at any given time. You will feel
    aggressive, happy, despairing, or determined according to events
    that happen to you, your beliefs about yourself in relation to them,
    and your ideas of who and what you are. You will not understand your
    emotions unless you know your beliefs. It will seem to you that you
    feel aggressive or upset without reason, or that your feelings sweep
    down upon you without cause
    if you do not learn to listen to the
    beliefs within your own conscious mind, for they generate their own emotions

And as a side note, physical symptoms, illness, are always the inability to solve mental or psychological problems in the correct manner. Now that does not say, "go solve your problems when they arise and do not bemoan their existence", that says solve them correctly, we are talking of course about the mental issues either hidden, forgotten, or swept under the rug. Labeled GED or 'anxious' and a 'disorder' you then place energies into maintaining it, especially since it seems illusive, and to strike from nowhere. Unable to pinpoint it, you cannot battle it. A most formidable foe. Quite the conundrum to your dual therapists, who happen to suffer from the same conditions, their dominant belief in disease now, not health.

You are like a child playing hide and seek pretending the psyche is the big bad wolf -- Who would be brave enough to enter the woods to fight this horrific slippery creature ? The challenge is to see beyond the distractions of everyday life along with its camouflage, and get to the 'heart' of the matter. You are so entranced by the illusion of the physical world and your affairs, the thought never occurred to you to look elsewhere for answers. Now it's better late than never to tend to spiritual things or at least begin to believe in them, not religion, but the affairs of the heart and soul. If the anxiety could be solved through money or worldly ways, you would have already paid them off.

Now most people here are under hypnosis, the same trance you and your therapists are in, so it does
    little good to follow the blind.

Lastly, it's not what you do, it's what your being, doing it. Physical life is thought in action, that includes your body. In that context, the body is a belief, period.

Learn to sit in the fear and let it speak.

That is enough.
    Last edited by Im-Suffering; 08-26-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaGal View Post
    " sit in the fear and let it speak" good advice for me....our mind and body are trying to tell me something
    I deleted that post in lieu of the one above this one. Consolidated. I am pleased you connected with that.