Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Unhappy Trouble with Zoloft (help?)

Hi guys, I'm brand new to this forum.

So I will tell you what's going on..

A couple years ago I was put on Zoloft, and when my doc bumped me up to 75mg I felt awesome. I felt happy, motivated, and like I could live my life normally again.

After a year or two of taking 75mg I decided (like a moron) that I was fine and I could skip doses here and there. Well, skipping here in there turned into not taking it for up to 3 to 4 days at a time. I was incredibly inconsistent with it, but I felt no negative effects. So I started taking 50mg instead of 75 (also inconsistently) without asking my doctor.

It was fine until one morning I woke up with a panic attack. I stayed in bed for 8 hours when it happened. So then I started taking 50mg consistently. But I wasn't feeling that well. So then I got some pretty upsetting news that threw me into a series of panic attacks and I ended up going to a hospital so they could give me a shot of Ativan to calm me down.

I went to my doctor three weeks ago. I told her everything. So she jumped me up to 100mg and I have been taking it every single night since then.

I've been on it for three weeks, and I do feel better anxiety wise...but I'm feeling REALLY down. Not suicidal, but pretty dang low...I feel like there's no hope for me and I am incredibly unmotivated and lethargic. I get aggitated pretty easily but I don't really show the anger that much.

What I'm wondering is, is this normal? Should I give Zoloft some more time? As I said it has worked wonders for me before, but after I screwed with my dosage and how often I took it I kinda went back to the start.

I just want to be myself again. I heard it takes a month or so to dissipate side effects and reach the therapeutic stage where it actually helps you. I'm 20 years old and play in a band so I really can't afford to be feeling this way haha.

Thank you for reading this. Responses would be much appreciated.

Hi I just switched over to Zoloft from lexapro about 2 months ago and I also have kinda felt down and seemed to feel kinda depressed.. but in the last week or so I have felt better and I think it seems to be working better for me but i know everyone is different!! So I hope it will get straightened out!!