Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

I think my anxiety is getting worse. Is this normal?

When I started CBT for what everyone insisted was some pretty bad anxiety, I didn't feel that anxious. Yes, I got nervous over things, I'm prone to shaking, and I tend to catastophise. But I didn't have anxiety or panic attacks like my friends with anxiety disorders, and it didn't stop me doing things. The form I fill in every few months to rate my levels of anxiety and depression says I am improving, but my symptoms are getting more and more debilitating. In the past I've generally controlled feelings of anxiety (fast heart beat, shaking hands, racing thoughts) to do what I need to do, but lately when the anxiety flares up I burst into tears, become nauseous or faint, and sometimes vomit or collapse. These are new symptoms and I have no idea how to deal with them, or explain to my care team that while I seem to be getting better on paper, I'm not coping as well as I used to, and deep breathing and grounding techniques don't help with this new level of anxiety. This is really interfering with my life and I have no idea what to do.

What I really want to know is if anyone else experienced these symptoms when they went through CBT? Is it normal? Does it pass? How can I be improving if my symptoms are more debilitating? Is this actually improving? I'm so confused.

Your confusion dictates your lack of understanding as to what exactly it is you're fighting and how it's affecting your life. You understand your symptoms and took to avoiding them the best you could to deal with them. You don't let it control your life and now it's attempting to manifest with more powerful symptoms. You must realize where your problems stem from.

Begin writing down your desires. The things you want and have always wanted. Do you want a better job? More time spent with friends or loved ones? Find out what you want for yourself and work on improving that. Combined with the cbt you'll see results.

Don't focus on your symptoms. But the ideas instead of what you want and figure out how to make it happen. Happy traveling

Quote Originally Posted by Xerosnake90 View Post
    Don't focus on your symptoms. But the ideas instead of what you want and figure out how to make it happen. Happy traveling
    Excellent..