Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Personal Victory Today (My Battle Against Compulsive Spending)

I don't think I've ever mentioned it, but I used to be a compulsive spender. I would use it as a coping mechanism when I was feeling depressed. The temporary high I got from buying a new watch or a cell phone would last maybe a few days and then I'd regret my purchase but I was too embarrassed to take the merchandise back. It got so bad that it almost ruined my credit. Anyway, today was a lousy day at work and I ended up going to the mall afterwards. I saw this beautiful Movado watch for $700 in the window of Zales. I walked in and before I knew it, I was trying it on and getting ready to swipe the ol' "fantastic plastic". I stopped and realized that I wasn't wearing a watch and hadn't in about 2 years, so therefore I didn't need this one. I thanked the girl for her time and got the heck out of there. I know that it may seem insignificant, but I think I'm one step closer to controlling my emotions and impulses.

Anyone else ever have a similar problem?

Well, good for you!! Keep it up! You can do it. I have eating issues and finally got those under control but it was not easy.

Yes i went through two years of compulsive spending maxed up the credit cards and spend 5 years to pay them off. No spending anything when I do not have cash to pay for it. Congratulation on not buying this time)
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore