Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Very weak pulse: barely detectable in neck.

Hi,

Newcomer here. Tonight my pulse seems unusually weak to the point where I can barely feel it. Placing my fingers on my neck, all I can really detect is a slight vibration, really just enough to indicate that there's movement. On the other hand I don't seem to have other symptoms, except maybe some dizziness, but that could be also tiredness and anxiety. If I do push-ups my pulse gets stronger, sort of like a regular pulse, but then drops down again afterwards. I'm afraid to go to sleep for fear that my pulse might get even weaker, or that my heart is on the brink of giving out. I'm 21, normal weight, and have Mitral Valve Prolapse, but my doctor said it didn't seem to effect anything. That was diagnosed about a month ago. This Thursday I'm meeting with him again because I've recently been having bounding pulse episodes that are very uncomfortable. Mild exertion can cause my heart rate to shoot up and my heart to pound as if I've been sprinting. However, in the alternative, my heart has on a few occasions seemed to be very weak, tonight being perhaps the worst of all. I was just wondering if anyone could relate or possibly give me an idea of what this is.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. Would you mind telling me what you consider regular pulse?
    Between 60 and 100 heartbeats a minute.

Athletes who have done a lot of training may see their resting heart rate fall below 60 beats a minute, possibly to as low as 40 beats a minute.

The following list shows how heart rate (in beats a minute) gradually slows down through young childhood:4

First month of life - 70-190
    Between 1 and 11 months - 80-160
    One- and two-year-olds - 80-130
    Three- and four-year-olds - 80-120
    Five- and six-year-olds - 75-115
    Between seven and nine years - 70-110
    From 10 years of age - 60-100.

The normal heart rate undergoes healthy variation, going up in response to some conditions, including exercise, body temperature, body position (such as for a short while after standing up quickly), and emotion (such as anxiety and arousal).5

Abnormal heart rates have medical names (the values given are typical, but being above or below the figure may be normal and harmless for some):6

Tachycardia means the heart is beating too fast at rest (usually over 100 beats a minute)
    Bradycardia is a heart rate that is too slow (usually below 60 beats a minute).

Your doc said that is ok, so it is ok. You should not worry about it. Are you on meds? Could try meditation, nothing helps your heart better than regular and correct breathing
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Quote Originally Posted by likeriver View Post
    Hi,

Newcomer here. Tonight my pulse seems unusually weak to the point where I can barely feel it. Placing my fingers on my neck, all I can really detect is a slight vibration, really just enough to indicate that there's movement. On the other hand I don't seem to have other symptoms, except maybe some dizziness, but that could be also tiredness and anxiety. If I do push-ups my pulse gets stronger, sort of like a regular pulse, but then drops down again afterwards. I'm afraid to go to sleep for fear that my pulse might get even weaker, or that my heart is on the brink of giving out. I'm 21, normal weight, and have Mitral Valve Prolapse, but my doctor said it didn't seem to effect anything. That was diagnosed about a month ago. This Thursday I'm meeting with him again because I've recently been having bounding pulse episodes that are very uncomfortable. Mild exertion can cause my heart rate to shoot up and my heart to pound as if I've been sprinting. However, in the alternative, my heart has on a few occasions seemed to be very weak, tonight being perhaps the worst of all. I was just wondering if anyone could relate or possibly give me an idea of what this is.

Thanks.
    If you are really concerned about this it is really worth it to visit your GP, even if it is to put your mind at rest. I use to concentrate a lot on my heart and would take my pulse every hour or so because I was so focussed on the fact that something might be wrong with me. Let me tell you that the best thing you can do is have this checked out, it is probably nothing and it could be your anxiety talking. If it is then it will put your mind at rest and then you can tick it to anxiety. There is nothing wrong with that. Happens to so many of us. And think about it, if it is something, you caught it early and something can be done about it.

Guys read the stickies the Anxiety symptoms, everyone here is taking the pulse twenty times a day or checking blood pressure , it is anxiety. Of course if any doubts go to doctor. His doctor said it is ok. Anxiety and fear will do strange things to the body. Go to general forum and read the stickies please
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

There are psychologists who would say that constant "checking behavior" -- going to the doctor a lot because your anxiety is telling you there might be something wrong, or going home repeatedly to make sure you locked the door or turned off the oven, checking the car door three times, etc., should be avoided because it feeds the anxiety. They say you need to train yourself not to do these things.

On the other hand, when someone thinks they might have a medical problem -- and is not sure whether what they are feeling is caused by anxiety or by a medical condition -- going to a doctor can be prudent -- maybe to relieve the anxiety, but also to make sure there is nothing that requires medical attention.

So there is no single right answer. And it is hard (and maybe risky) for someone on an internet discussion board to say "it is just your anxiety; you don't have any medical problems" -- because even if we think it is very likely that's the case, we don't know with absolute certainty.

Yes Kuma you are right, this is why we always say check it with doc. we have no right to make any diagnosis but reading the board will give him a lot of info) Have a nice day everyone
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Quote Originally Posted by Dahila View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Would you mind telling me what you consider regular pulse?
    Between 60 and 100 heartbeats a minute.

Athletes who have done a lot of training may see their resting heart rate fall below 60 beats a minute, possibly to as low as 40 beats a minute.

The following list shows how heart rate (in beats a minute) gradually slows down through young childhood:4

First month of life - 70-190
    Between 1 and 11 months - 80-160
    One- and two-year-olds - 80-130
    Three- and four-year-olds - 80-120
    Five- and six-year-olds - 75-115
    Between seven and nine years - 70-110
    From 10 years of age - 60-100.

The normal heart rate undergoes healthy variation, going up in response to some conditions, including exercise, body temperature, body position (such as for a short while after standing up quickly), and emotion (such as anxiety and arousal).5

Abnormal heart rates have medical names (the values given are typical, but being above or below the figure may be normal and harmless for some):6

Tachycardia means the heart is beating too fast at rest (usually over 100 beats a minute)
    Bradycardia is a heart rate that is too slow (usually below 60 beats a minute).

Your doc said that is ok, so it is ok. You should not worry about it. Are you on meds? Could try meditation, nothing helps your heart better than regular and correct breathing
    Regular pulse ranges +/- 60-80 bpm. I'll admit that's pretty good. Unfortunately, it's the actual strength of the heart beat that concerns me. But, at least I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.

Very good , hopefully it is nothing serious, keep us posted, please
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore