Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Afraid of driving long distances (with my dad)

Before I explain what my problem is, I want to give a little back story to clear a few things up:

I haven't seen my aunt, who lives three hours away, in 6 years. We've barely spoken. But for the last year, she has been calling me and I have been promising to go and visit her. My dad really supports the whole visitation thing, so in a few days he's going to drive me to my aunts house. Plain and simple stuff, right?

Well, that's the problem. First of all, I kind of have a fear of driving (in traffic at least). It isn't really debilitating or anything, but it can really screw with my head at times while on the road for a long period of time. Second, I don't trust my dad. Now, I don't need to hear anything about having a better relationship with my father. I've heard it all before. I don't trust him and I never will. End of story. And now he's offering to take me on a three hour long drive (there and back, so six hours) to my aunt's. But from my perspective, he's a very shitty driver. To make things worse, he's also afraid of driving out there. He doesn't even trust himself to drive.

So basically, to sum it up: I have a fear of driving, I don't trust my dad (who is not a safe driver), and I'm gonna be trapped in a really small car for three hours on the freeway with him as the driver. The only thing keeping me from shutting this entire thing down is that I really don't want to upset my aunt (because I made a promise) and I don't want my dad to know I don't trust him and stuff like that. I hope that makes sense.

Please help. I can't sleep at night because it feels like I am going to die in a few days. I keep having horrid thoughts of getting into an insane car crash because of my dad. Am I being irrational? Should I cancel? I feel stuck and scared.

Also, some extra side notes if they're important: I'm a 16-year-old male and my dad is the only person that can drive me out there.

I have a driving phobia as well. Let me ask, what makes your dad such a bad driver? Does he drive too quickly? Or is it that he is just a very nervous driver as well? If he is a nervous driver as I am....just tell him to drive slowly and stick to the slow lane. There is no rush to get to your aunt's house. After an hour and a half on the road, pull over and take a break for a good 10-15 minutes. Then do the same thing for the last part of the trip. Slow and steady. You both can do this but just don't become overwhelmed by feeling like you have to go at the pace of everyone else on the road. While in the car, find some soothing music. Delve into an interesting conversation with your dad....that will allow the time to pass as well.

If those options won't work, could you take a bus or train there?