Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: Therapy?

Question Therapy?

Hi all.
    I'm an worrying over therapy. I know worrying about therapy seems kind of ironic but this is what is happening.
    I was thinking about going for some therapy to help me with my anxiety but I am worried that I will end up in a hospital - which I don't want.

Has any of you had any therapy? I would really like to know what to expect and I'd like to know if they can put me in hospital because of course that is not something I want, OR something I think I need.

Some input would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by SamiiiRisu View Post
    Hi all.
    I'm an worrying over therapy. I know worrying about therapy seems kind of ironic but this is what is happening.
    I was thinking about going for some therapy to help me with my anxiety but I am worried that I will end up in a hospital - which I don't want.

Has any of you had any therapy? I would really like to know what to expect and I'd like to know if they can put me in hospital because of course that is not something I want, OR something I think I need.

You refer to a psychiatric hospital I gather, then :

Mental health act (USA): for involuntary confinement

The Act defines mental disorder as mental illness, severe dementia or significant intellectual disability where:

• Because of the illness, disability or dementia, there is a serious likelihood that you may cause immediate and serious harm to yourself or to other people or
    • Because of the severity of the illness, disability or dementia, your judgement is so impaired that failure to admit you to an approved centre would be likely to lead to a serious deterioration of your condition or would prevent the administration of appropriate treatment that could only be given by such an admission and your reception, detention and treatment in an approved centre would be likely to materially benefit or alleviate your condition.
    Last edited by Im-Suffering; 07-18-2014 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Im-Suffering View Post
    Mental health act (USA): for involuntary confinement

The Act defines mental disorder as mental illness, severe dementia or significant intellectual disability where:

• Because of the illness, disability or dementia, there is a serious likelihood that you may cause immediate and serious harm to yourself or to other people or
    • Because of the severity of the illness, disability or dementia, your judgement is so impaired that failure to admit you to an approved centre would be likely to lead to a serious deterioration of your condition or would prevent the administration of appropriate treatment that could only be given by such an admission and your reception, detention and treatment in an approved centre would be likely to materially benefit or alleviate your condition.
    Thank you for your response. Funnily, I do know the MHA well, so I know this. It's just something I can't shake. I'm not a danger to myself or others, I guess what I'm most worried about it other people's (who would be the therapist) interpretation of me. That is what worries me more.

Thank you for your response. Funnily, I do know the MHA well, so I know this. It's just something I can't shake. I'm not a danger to myself or others, I guess what I'm most worried about it other people's (who would be the therapist) interpretation of me. That is what worries me more.
    Youll be ok good luck.

Wow, don't worry about what the therapist thinks of you. That's what they are there for. And believe me, they have heard EVERYTHING and I do mean everything. I love therapy. I've seen the same therapist for over 20 years. Sometimes it's my anxiety and other times it's things like a conflict with a co-worker. Go!

Hi all.

The only way that you would be placed in the hospital would be if you fell under the qualifications that Im-Suffering noted in a previous posting. If you fall into those categories they therapist has an obligation to place you in the hospital. I first time that I went to therapy in late 2005 to December 2006 when I was first diagnosed. The therapist that I had then was probably the best one that I've had so far. He helped me through a lot of my anxiety issues. I went back to therapy in April of this year when my anxiety once again started to interfere with my life.
    The first appointment will likely be an intake appointment where they will ask why you are there to see them. They will ask what kind of symptoms you are having in terms of anxiety, if you also are depressed etc. Then from there your therapist will probably from that develop a treatment plan for you. I've found therapy to be quite helpful in the treatment process of my anxiety. Best of luck to you!

Hi all. I'm an worrying over therapy. I know worrying about therapy seems kind of ironic but this is what is happening. I was thinking about going for some therapy to help me with my anxiety but I am worried that I will end up in a hospital - which I don't want. Has any of you had any therapy? I would really like to know what to expect and I'd like to know if they can put me in hospital because of course that is not something I want, OR something I think I need. Some input would be amazing.
    . Hi just keep strong I no it's hard sometimes I go to my mums when I am bad have you got anyf family to help u

Quote Originally Posted by Anne1221 View Post
    Wow, don't worry about what the therapist thinks of you. That's what they are there for. And believe me, they have heard EVERYTHING and I do mean everything. I love therapy. I've seen the same therapist for over 20 years. Sometimes it's my anxiety and other times it's things like a conflict with a co-worker. Go!
    . I think every a bit scared but go and try it. I got to go to see one in a few weeks I might not sleep well night before