Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Hi Im New Here Did anyone else take Zoloft and feel like this

Hello everyone. My name is James Im 35 and i have been dealing with Anxiety and Panic Attacks since i was 17 years old. I always managed my anxiety without medication my whole life. Through exercise, meditation, tons of research and other natural remedies. My anxiety went away for a long time but it came back a couple of years ago then went away again. Two Months ago i had a horrible Panic attack that had me taken to the hospital. I had extensive tests done. Tons of Heart tests Monitors, ekg, Echo, Stress Test etc. all normal. I had tons of blood tests and xrays all normal too. I never took meds for my anxiety and never wanted to. This time was so bad my doctor suggested that i try meds. It took alot of convincing and i finally said ill try it I was at the point i didnt want anxiety to control my life because it started effecting every aspect of my life. He started me on Zoloft the first two weeks were a nightmare i had the worst anxiety i have ever had in my life and i thought i was going to die everyday. I called the doctor and explained this he said give it a chance it takes some time for your body to adjust and it will get better. I continued taking the meds then i started to get dizzy and light headed and disconnected felt like i was in a dream state and not real. i spoke to the doctor again and he said give it a little more time. I was on the meds for 2 months and i got to the point were i am Dizzy with vertigo feelings light headed and a disconnected dream state feeling 24/7 non stop. I called the doctor he told me to ween off the meds and he didnt think this was the right meds for me. He instructed me to take half the dose for a week and then take it every other day for a week then stop taking the meds. I did that i havent been on the meds for about 5 or 6 days and i still feel dizzy with vertigo feeling lightheaded and total dream like state lik im not in my body constantly. My head has become a little more clearer in the last couple of days. I also have been waking up again with morning wood. That hasnt happened in two months that i was on the meds. The meds completely messed with my libido. So i was wondering if anyone else has ever felt or experienced the same thing that i am going through. If so how long did it take for them to feel like themselves again. Its at the point where i feel like im going to be like this forever. If this is what its like for meds im glad i never took them and dont think i will again. I just want to feel normal again and im going to start to do yoga and exercise again and try natural remedies and therapy. Any info would be great thanks in advance

The meds can be in your system for a few weeks after you stop them. When I've gone on and off meds before, I would have weird withdrawal symptoms for about a week after. So, hopefully you'll feel better soon!

Another note, on managing your anxiety without meds to this point, I had anxiety for 8 years without meds and I thought it was 'bad.' Then, it got really bad. lol. Now, I'm on meds everyday and not sure what I would do without them. For me, a lot of that time, I was ignoring my anxiety as much as possible, which is part of what ultimately led to it becoming much worse and overwhelming. Does that sound like your situation at all?

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    The meds can be in your system for a few weeks after you stop them. When I've gone on and off meds before, I would have weird withdrawal symptoms for about a week after. So, hopefully you'll feel better soon!

Another note, on managing your anxiety without meds to this point, I had anxiety for 8 years without meds and I thought it was 'bad.' Then, it got really bad. lol. Now, I'm on meds everyday and not sure what I would do without them. For me, a lot of that time, I was ignoring my anxiety as much as possible, which is part of what ultimately led to it becoming much worse and overwhelming. Does that sound like your situation at all?
    My Anxiety started at 17 i had a horrible panic attack and went to the hospital thinking that something was wrong with my heart. I had tons of tests and came to the anxiety conclusion. That anxiety was like that for a couple of years till i was about 20 or so then it literally was gone one day and didnt return till i was about 27 i went a good 7 years with no symptoms like it never happened. Then again it went away came back around 30 then went away again till about 32 and for the last couple of years it has been on and off. The panic attacks and the anxiety have become alot worse the older i got i have noticed. I did go to therapy for a couple of years and that helped alot but i just switched insurances at work a couple of months ago and its been beyond easy trying to get a new therapist that actually takes my insurance. The anxiety since like septmeber till now has been on and off and probably the worst it has ever been in my life and thats why i decided to try to take the meds. But Now this has become horrible i actually feel worse now than i ever have. Im literally dizzy with vertigo feelings very disconnected and a dream state like im not in my body 24/7 and im dealing with it but its been to long that it has been non stop. Im at a loss and just want to wake up like this was a dream instead of feeloing like im in one constantly

Were your anxious periods at certain stressful points in your life?

It's awful, but medication can make it worse. If you find the right one it can make it much better though, too. Hopefully your withdrawals will end soon. Are you starting a new med?

Hey Munka, sorry I cant help with the Zoloft meds, but I have some input.

First, my situation is similar, had bad panic attacks before, went away. Came back with a vengeance years later, sent me to the ER etc. Did all the test normal.

Went on some meds (Buspar) and Alprozolam (Xanax) when needed, made me weird, had the vertigo feelings but really it was anxiety and breathing issues nothing out of the ordinary. Got passed that. Then fell into some depression. Got on Fluoxetine (Prozac) This thing was hell for almost 3 weeks. Fought through the side effects and now 3 months later, living life just like how I was before!

So yes you need to find the medicine that best fits your body. Those sensations of Vertigo etc are all by products of anxiety, Dont over think it to much. Talk to you doctor though so they can find the best fit for you!

Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Were your anxious periods at certain stressful points in your life?

It's awful, but medication can make it worse. If you find the right one it can make it much better though, too. Hopefully your withdrawals will end soon. Are you starting a new med?
    Yeah my first anxiety was after my father died. Second wave Grandparents died and work issues. Third Mother died and then 6 year relationship ended with being cheated on. These new ones nothing has been stressful besides work actually everything in my life has been good. So before yes always stressful crazy times this time no reason besides just work stuff.
    Im not sure if im going to try another med if i do i at least want to not feel the way i do before starting something else.

Munka Im not going to lie, these meds have some rough side effects and transition periods. It takes time to get used to them. It sucks but like I said for me...... 3 months going strong and I feel great! So much better than the hellish period. If its something you can stomach and fight through its worth a shot!

So i have been off the meds for over two weeks. I have been to a couple of different doctors Cardiologist, Regular Physician, and ENT. i have had countless tests Stress test, EKG, Electrocardiogram, heart monitor, Blood Tests, X-ray, Cat Scan. I still wake up dizzy and light headed off Balance feeling Very dream like not in my body and i feel like that 24/7 its been constant. I just want some answers of what this is and whats going on with me and how do i fix it. I just want to be normal again and i want to have my life back. I dont want this to start effecting my job and my personal life i just started seeing someone that i really like and do not want this to interfere or mess this up. On top of this i cant find a new therapist to talk to because my job changed insurance and its been a nightmare. Im at a loss

Let's just say, I took Zoloft ONCE literally one pill and I will never take it again! I literally had panic attack after panic attack in one day! I felt crazy, like stuff wasn't real, etc. Very bad day for me!