Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Hybrid View

What kind of anxiety do I have?

Hi everyone. I am new to this website, but I am in search of some answers. I have a doctor's appointment this week so please don't suggest I go see a doctor :P

4 years ago I broke my jaw during a dental procedure and my mouth was wired shut for 6 weeks. When I went back to school in the fall, I almost had a panic attack just sitting in the classroom. I was in high school so I asked to go to the nurse's office and I tried explaining to the nurse, but she didn't understand so I asked if I could just go home. I went home and I never went back to public school again. I didn't even want to hang out with my school friends, only church friends. I started homeschooling and I didn't experience any anxiety for a while. After I graduated from homeschooling I started a community service program where I left home and went overseas a few times. That program was a year long. I never had any anxiety problems there. When I came home again I started at my community college and enjoyed my time there. I was there for 2 years and never experienced any anxiety there either. Now, I have started experiencing the most anxiety I have ever had. In the start of this summer, I was working and I was working alone because I work at a very small independently owned business. It's only a summer job and I've been working there for five summers. When I started working, I had a root canal done which they had to put me under conscious sedation for because I have dental anxiety. Because of the root canal I couldn't eat many solid foods so I was mostly eating softer foods that weren't very substantial. I was at work and I started to feel sick as though my body didn't have enough nutrients that day. I felt lightheaded like I might pass out so I called my boss and she came in and I went home. A couple weeks later, I was working alone again and I got really busy so I panicked because there was nobody there to help so I ran out of the building just to breathe and called for some other employees to come in. Throughout the rest of the summer, I was fine at work for the most part. Then, just recently (last week) I went to a baseball game. One the way there, I was really anxious. When we got there and started walking, we entered a huge crowd and I started panicking thinking how I could escape in case of emergency. When I sat down I eventually felt better, but I only felt 100% better when I knew the game was over and it was time to leave. I still enjoyed the game though. After that, whenever I thought about going into work I got anxious and nauseous. I also started to have little to no appetite for anything. I stopped eating sweets and sugars because they just weren't appetizing. After a while, I was in the mood for fruits, vegetables, fish, rice and just recently my appetite started coming back. However, I don't have an appetite when I get anxious and when I think about going into work. I called off work yesterday and I felt better after calling off. I'm considering calling my boss and telling her I can't work until I get everything figured out and just keep myself busy with other things.

I'm also moving soon and really anxious about getting my own place (because of transferring colleges) and paying rent and tuition. I'm constantly worrying about all these things.

Also, I haven't really been in the mood to hang out with anyone or even text people. I skyped someone yesterday and that went well. I had a good time, but I haven't been enjoying being out unless I make myself go and then eventually I will start to enjoy myself. However, I went out to dinner with my siblings last week when I didn't have an appetite and I just wanted to leave. I didn't enjoy myself throughout the whole dinner time. My mind was always somewhere else, just thinking about going home.
    Last edited by kaybeee; 07-14-2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: more info

Welcome! This place really does help with anxiety so have a look around, read the sticky's!

You seem to have Generalized anxiety disorder, but I'm no expert.

You will feel better soon, a few months back I was so different to what I am now.....in a good way
    What you think, you become

Quote Originally Posted by Joe. View Post
    Welcome! This place really does help with anxiety so have a look around, read the sticky's!

You seem to have Generalized anxiety disorder, but I'm no expert.

You will feel better soon, a few months back I was so different to what I am now.....in a good way

Do you feel better because of medication? Therapy? Or did some of your stressful situations disappear?

I've had no medication, unless it's at a crisis, it's best not to have medication. I've had no professional therapy, but in some ways this forum and just being open about it has been therapeutic.

Stressful situations haven't dissipated at all unfortunately.

I do still get quite a lot of anxiety though. ( Does not mean you will or anything)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe. View Post
    I've had no medication, unless it's at a crisis, it's best not to have medication. I've had no professional therapy, but in some ways this forum and just being open about it has been therapeutic.

Stressful situations haven't dissipated at all unfortunately.

I do still get quite a lot of anxiety though. ( Does not mean you will or anything)
    How did things get better for you? You say you feel so different from just a few months ago, but I keep feeling like I won't feel any different unless my situation disappears or unless I get medication. It's true, I do not want to be dependent upon medication, but what else can help? Sorry for so many questions :P

In all honesty I don't know how I've got slightly better, they seems to be a link between accepting you have anxiety and talking about your anxiety to coping with it better for me, so It could be that.

Professional therapy could help you I think! Medication just helps you cope with it, it does not cure it; therapy can cure it.