Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

think its time for meds, need advice

Soooo I have tried CBT and talk therapy. Journaling and meditation. Plus numerous other self help strategies. They have been very helpful but not complete. After spending the weekend hiding under the covers I realize I may need medication... where to start?

First step is to go back to your doctor and explain what you just told us.. ask to start on a light dosage of something. I'm not good with names but it might take a few shots to find something that works for you. Good luck

Make sure you also research a bit about side effects so you know what you're getting into.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin
    First step is to go back to your doctor and explain what you just told us.. ask to start on a light dosage of something. I'm not good with names but it might take a few shots to find something that works for you. Good luck

Make sure you also research a bit about side effects so you know what you're getting into.
    Thank you for responding. I am going to call my doc tomorrow. I am afraid to look at the side effects because I will have them... but they don't last and they do go away. My hubby is on lexapro for depression and he said he had a headache for one day. So I am hoping that is all I will get.

Hello rusticnrg,
    I think you should go with herbal medicine....
    I know some herbal medicine, if you want i can suggest you....?

Quote Originally Posted by pharmacharak
    Hello rusticnrg,
    I think you should go with herbal medicine....
    I know some herbal medicine, if you want i can suggest you....?
    That would be great. I hear so many things that I am not sure what to take.

Don't be scared to go down the medication route... you have done the right thing & exhausted all possibilities. If possible, try & do some more therapy/cbt alongside it when it starts working.

I've just started on 10mg of Citalopram. Side effects seem to have largely worn off now having started just over a week ago. Too early to really say how effective it is but I would have said it's taken the edge off already. I'll be going up to 20mg next week.

Remember... people are more likely to post on forums/internet about having a bad experience with SSRIs than if they worked well!

Good luck.
    "I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul." - ‎Invictus, William Ernest Henley