Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    How to settle Dry Heaving

Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Nytro1050 View Post
    Sorry for bringing up old thread. But I have extreme dry heaving/ nauseous stomach all the time when I’m nervous or have anxiety. Is there any supplements u can take to relax your stomach or get rid of dry heaving? Mine gets so bad that I can’t talk or swallow as when lips move I want to gag. Taking sip of buckleys helped as it put a weird taste in my mouth and the gagging went away as long as gross buckleys taste in mouth. I know this wrong to do but it only thing that helped and eventually the more I did it ( exposed myself) the more it was easier for me to do. But anything new that I didn’t do before makes me nervous and want to dry heave
    Honestly, the last thing you need is supplements or any type of medication. Trust me, I had exactly the same problem you do and all it did was make things worse. It's going to sound crazy, but the thing that helped me get over this problem is acknowledging that it was there. Before, I was constantly fighting against it to make it stop, but the body responds in the opposite way, making your problems worse because it wants to tell you something is wrong. It's a beautiful system, because your body is trying to help you. I'll give you a step list of the things I do when it happens to me, it may look a little ridiculous, but I promise you that it helps greatly.

1. Go the the place where you feel pain or discomfort and feel it, do not run from it. This can be your stomach or even your throat.
    2. Acknowledge the fact that your body is trying to help you and not harm you. It is giving you symptoms because you feel anxiety, so you can protect yourself against the source of the anxiety. So, say 'thank you' to your body for doing such a great job.
    3. Say to yourself: "I know this feels uncomfortable right now, but this too shall pass. I'm just experiencing an emotion."
    4. Sit up straight, do not cross your arms, and make yourself bigger. Our natural instinct with anxiety is to make ourselves smaller and cross our arms, but this tenses us up even more. You want to do the opposite.
    5. Take your time and realise that the symptom does not have to go away. Whatever happens, it's okay.
    6. Keep a close eye on your breathing. Try to breath in and out slowly and deeply to give your body the signal it is okay to calm down.

P.S. it helps to write these things down, since they can be hard to remember when you have a panic attack. So, have a small note on your phone or a sticky note with you so you can access it when you need to.

Kixxi long time not to see, Fantastic post, I am reading it and relaxing. You are very good, You should post more often
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

I thought the same but was too scared to say anything. Lol. Excellent Post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kixxi View Post
    Honestly, the last thing you need is supplements or any type of medication. Trust me, I had exactly the same problem you do and all it did was make things worse. It's going to sound crazy, but the thing that helped me get over this problem is acknowledging that it was there. Before, I was constantly fighting against it to make it stop, but the body responds in the opposite way, making your problems worse because it wants to tell you something is wrong. It's a beautiful system, because your body is trying to help you. I'll give you a step list of the things I do when it happens to me, it may look a little ridiculous, but I promise you that it helps greatly. post! What I have been facing the feeling and doing things.

1. Go the the place where you feel pain or discomfort and feel it, do not run from it. This can be your stomach or even your throat.
    2. Acknowledge the fact that your body is trying to help you and not harm you. It is giving you symptoms because you feel anxiety, so you can protect yourself against the source of the anxiety. So, say 'thank you' to your body for doing such a great job.
    3. Say to yourself: "I know this feels uncomfortable right now, but this too shall pass. I'm just experiencing an emotion."
    4. Sit up straight, do not cross your arms, and make yourself bigger. Our natural instinct with anxiety is to make ourselves smaller and cross our arms, but this tenses us up even more. You want to do the opposite.
    5. Take your time and realise that the symptom does not have to go away. Whatever happens, it's okay.
    6. Keep a close eye on your breathing. Try to breath in and out slowly and deeply to give your body the signal it is okay to calm down.

P.S. it helps to write these things down, since they can be hard to remember when you have a panic attack. So, have a small note on your phone or a sticky note with you so you can access it when you need to.
    Wow awesome post. My last appointment with pcholgist and this statement has made a lot sense. I was using dry heaving once every few days as a way to relax myself and did it on purpose once or twice instead of letting feeling pass. Then one night at work I had massive fear of confined space and started dry heave like crazy. Then it was like any little thing I better dry heave so I feel good. Then it was like my body thinks it needs it to cope and do stuff. Like my doctor said.. it’s just a feeling usually from a negative thought but not a negative situation. The situation isn’t the problem. The situations the same since I was a kid. It’s the fear of dry heaving in that situation. So it’s a negative thought/fear which contributes to a negative feeling for a usual situation. So I can either tell myself awwww looks it’s that feeling I must be thinking about dry heaving ( negative thought) but then tell myself the situation is fine which is a positive thought which gives a positive feeling. Or can just go through it not thinking anything and with exposure it goes down over time. Or like u said, say thank you for feeling which is body way thinking it’s helping but I don’t need help rite now but thanks anyways. First and third ones combined sounds like good bet. Even sometimes I get feeling drinking water and it tries control me and not let me do things but If I say “ jees this just drinking water, this not negative situation and drink away then it helps. Also my diet isn’t good so I added supplements..magnesium, b complex, vitamin d, omega 3 and a multivitamin. I heard mix reviews on vitamin b complex some saying causes anxious but majority says it’s good. Also I didn’t wanna text friends and read work info lately cause I said it makes me anxious but the work info and friends don’t make me anxious.. it’s the negative though I give it which produces negative feeling. If I tell myself the situation ( texting friends/work info) isn’t bad or depressing then though changed and positive feeling and I do it. That time I had go down to dump to drop off lots garbage. Had big feeling gonna dry heave but held it together and told myself it’s not dump it’s my negative though taking place about dump. Hope this makes since

Quote Originally Posted by Kixxi View Post
    Honestly, the last thing you need is supplements or any type of medication. Trust me, I had exactly the same problem you do and all it did was make things worse. It's going to sound crazy, but the thing that helped me get over this problem is acknowledging that it was there. Before, I was constantly fighting against it to make it stop, but the body responds in the opposite way, making your problems worse because it wants to tell you something is wrong. It's a beautiful system, because your body is trying to help you. I'll give you a step list of the things I do when it happens to me, it may look a little ridiculous, but I promise you that it helps greatly. post! What I have been facing the feeling and doing things.

Wow awesome post. My last appointment with pcholgist and this statement has made a lot sense. I was using dry heaving once every few days as a way to relax myself and did it on purpose once or twice instead of letting feeling pass. Then one night at work I had massive fear of confined space and started dry heave like crazy. Then it was like any little thing I better dry heave so I feel good. Then it was like my body thinks it needs it to cope and do stuff. Like my doctor said.. it’s just a feeling usually from a negative thought but not a negative situation. The situation isn’t the problem. The situations the same since I was a kid. It’s the fear of dry heaving in that situation. So it’s a negative thought/fear which contributes to a negative feeling for a usual situation. So I can either tell myself awwww looks it’s that feeling I must be thinking about dry heaving ( negative thought) but then tell myself the situation is fine which is a positive thought which gives a positive feeling. Or can just go through it not thinking anything and with exposure it goes down over time. Or like u said, say thank you for feeling which is body way thinking it’s helping but I don’t need help rite now but thanks anyways. First and third ones combined sounds like good bet. Even sometimes I get feeling drinking water and it tries control me and not let me do things but If I say “ jees this just drinking water, this not negative situation and drink away then it helps. Also my diet isn’t good so I added supplements..magnesium, b complex, vitamin d, omega 3 and a multivitamin. I heard mix reviews on vitamin b complex some saying causes anxious but majority says it’s good. Also I didn’t wanna text friends and read work info lately cause I said it makes me anxious but the work info and friends don’t make me anxious.. it’s the negative though I give it which produces negative feeling. If I tell myself the situation ( texting friends/work info) isn’t bad or depressing then though changed and positive feeling and I do it. That time I had go down to dump to drop off lots garbage. Had big feeling gonna dry heave but held it together and told myself it’s not dump it’s my negative though taking place about dump. Hope this makes since

Just went that time and did the “ thanks for trying help me but don’t need help at the moment is this is a positive situation and will let u know if it changes but I’m fine for now “

I think I like that way instead of mine but both together helps

Just the weird nausea feeling lingers around in mouth majority of day and it gets bigger when a moment comes on that could make it worst. Like I can run around house with kid no worries but has stop so don’t dry heave cause feeling in my mouth but I think might be lingering effect or where I did it for some long it stays. It was gone for few weeks but came back

Quote Originally Posted by Nytro1050 View Post
    Just went that time and did the “ thanks for trying help me but don’t need help at the moment is this is a positive situation and will let u know if it changes but I’m fine for now “
    I understand 100%. I went about 5 years ago and I just wasn't ready. We can want to be better so bad, but you can still be not ready. The reason for that, in my humble opinion, is that our nervous system is so wired after years of anxiety. It's overly sensitive, so we are still in the habit of trying to suppress what our body is telling us. We are not listening to our bodies, and that leads to some nervous-related problems. Nothing is wrong with us, we've just been too brave for too long

Honestly, what worked for me was quite different from standard CBT. CBT made things worse for me, although I did learn a lot of important things. Instead of being in my head all the time and think about my symptom (my worst one was dizziness), I feel where my tension is, acknowledge it, thank my body for trying to protect me, and take the right posture and breathing. It does go away, even though it does not have to at that point. It does take practice, so don't be afraid to practice this in your daily life. For example, if you feel on edge about something, just determine where you feel the stress and apply the same steps