Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Potential Job = Fear, Panic and Discomfort

So now that I've left Alevel, I'm considering getting a job. I've found a perfect job online that is totally up my street...well, it would be if I didn't have anxiety issues.

It sounds like a lovely place to work. It's a family getaway place, positioned amongst a forest next to a village that I love. I would be working as an assistant in a pottery studio, helping adults and children with their pottery. This is perfect for me because I've taken pottery classes in the past and i even have my own kiln! But like I hinted at, i would have to assist visitors. This terrifies me because of my social anxiety - i feel as though i'll be awkward or make a fool of myself. Literally, I'm sitting here with a stomach that's twisting and knotting in absolute fear. I'd also have to have "confidence with using [their] computerised booking system", which also is making me panic; i just feel as though the responsibility is too much for me to handle!

It really does seem like a great opportunity that i don't think i'd see again, but every inch of me is going "No, no, no! Runaway! Danger!". I really need help from someone. i don't want to be cooped up at home all the time, but the idea of getting a job feels like such a threat; it's as though I'm going to be walking round the edge of a volcano, not working as a pottery assistant!

Please help me.

The job sounds great and like something that you'd really enjoy. Go for it!!

Remember that everyone starts off a job feeling uneasy and nervous, just like you would on the first day of school or before a big test. They will give you all the training on what you need to know and before you know it, you'll be a pro at your job. I'm working a part time job now and sometimes I get a bit uneasy and feel like I sound stupid talking to customers, but I always remember some of the customers might be facing similar social issues. Overtime, you'll get better at talking to people when you're more comfortable at work. As for their booking system, they will run you through it and whenever you have question, ask them.. it shows that you're willing to learn and doing your job properly I think you'll do great.. good luck

Hi, just wanted to let you know you should take the job! I have a part time waitress job and I know how hard it is to act confidently when I have to constantly interact with people, but just remember that if you act confidently with a smile on your face and a clear voice noone's going to see how you really feel inside. Just remember that no ones going to expect you to be absolutely amazing on the first day! Over time you'l get more comfortable with working there and it could really help your self-esteem and confidence. Take the job or you'll look back and regret it in five years time, good luck!

It has always amazed me, that even in my most anxious times, others don't have any idea of what I'm going through. So, remember they don't know what you're feeling and in time, doing the job day after day after day, you will become a whole lot less anxious. Take the job!! I love ceramics. It keeps me calm. I'm not very good though. There's a store near me called "All Fired Up" that is such a nice, relaxing place. You are lucky to have the talent. I can only do the most basic ceramic pieces. And, you're lucky to have the opportunity to work at a fun place, a place where people want to be and enjoy themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne1221 View Post
    It has always amazed me, that even in my most anxious times, others don't have any idea of what I'm going through. So, remember they don't know what you're feeling and in time, doing the job day after day after day, you will become a whole lot less anxious. Take the job!! I love ceramics. It keeps me calm. I'm not very good though. There's a store near me called "All Fired Up" that is such a nice, relaxing place. You are lucky to have the talent. I can only do the most basic ceramic pieces. And, you're lucky to have the opportunity to work at a fun place, a place where people want to be and enjoy themselves.
    i totally agree with this anne... as anxious as we might be feeling on the inside, no one ever really knows how you're feeling which is truly a helpful thing if you keep this in mind!!

Yes! Take the job, However, I love to practice positive visualization. Imagine yourself at this job, smiling, calm, enjoying others. I picture myself happy at my work. It helps. Especially if I refuse to use those phrases 'i have to go to work,' 'my job' etc. I turn it around and exclaim to my family that 'i get to go to the clinic today!' 'I'm going to have some fun at the clinic' 'i am blessed to be able to go to the clinic and make money!' ....my self talk is usually so negative and toxic and COVERT that I don't really hear it. I know it's there bc I'm feeling negative and toxic. Good night sleep every single night is key too! And purposefully eating raw, fresh, healthy helps my body react healthier. They say that food from the ground can make me feel grounded. Like potatoes, carrots. Instead of apples etc When I need to feel grounded and safe and not flying thru the air, so to speak lol