Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yoga and relaxation

Quote Originally Posted by superchick22684 View Post
    I have dysthymia (persistent mild depression) and some form of anxiety (used to be panic disorder but acts more like gad nowadays) and I work but some days its a struggle. The field I work in involves me having a lot of contact with the public so that is what makes it a struggle at times. I see a psych and therapist and have two medications that I use to help deal with symptoms (Cymbalta and Buspirone). I also try and use various coping skills and yoga to get through the really bad moments.

The only reason I'm really able to work is because I have to keep my mind busy or my symptoms get worse. I won't deny it there are some days when trying to focus is a nightmare but then I divide tasks up into small parts to make things feel less daunting. Sometimes getting out of bed in the morning is a struggle too but every day that I'm able to get out of bed is a small victory.

Don't feel bad about not having steady employment, your medical/mental health is more important at this point in time. When you start feeling better then you can evaluate whether going back to work is an option.

Does Yoga really calm you down? I sometimes have a hard time containing and getting rid of negative thoughts and I always wanted to give yoga a try but never really thought it would work.

One finger or two?
    Both Yoga and meditation work as they help bring you into the moment, they hold your focus and attention.
    It's what your right hands for..

I find yoga to be calming but you have to remember different coping methods/practices work for different people. I find that its really great for relieving stress and tension especially in the muscles. I'm one of those people that when I'm stressed I can feel it in my neck and shoulders.

One of the great things about yoga is when I'm doing it all of my focus goes to my breath and concentrating on getting into and transitioning to other poses. During that 30 minutes or so that I'm doing yoga those two things are my sole focus and I lock all other thoughts out of my mind.

I use yoga dvd's so when I'm doing them there's always a point at the end where you lay quietly and relax all your muscles. By far the best part of the practice. I can usually get anywhere from a few hours of calm to about a day of calm from doing 30 minutes to an hour of it.

I'm not saying yoga has completely fixed my anxiety or anything but it helps me. Just one of the tools that I keep in my toolbox.
    Your day will go the way the corners of your mouth turn-Unknown

Hi everyone,I'm a 19yr old male whose never had anxiety or panic attacks but recently had one about a month ago while Driving and needed oxygen now since then everyday has been non stop anxiety and I feel like I'm going crazy.im currently on the 8th day of Zoloft 25mg and no relief yet and I just feel like there's no end in sight.i can't work the anxiety is to overwhelming for me I just want to be back to normal.im a hands on type of guy so I'm really not used to this.please reply need someone to relate of talk to

My problem is depression. In is impossible on the part of me to work while I am depressed. For this, at the time of depression I take anti-depressant medicines that help me to handle the issue easily and get rid of my depression.

No I can't work in depression. When I feel depressed I take a small rest and my anti depressants...
    But you can make yourself busy to stay away from depression.

I think it completely depends on the pressure of the job and how severe the anxiety/depression is. When I was younger I was signed off college due to severe anxiety but managed a part time (20 hours) job during this time which was probably more hours than being in college. I've never been able to cope with jobs like waitressing or bar work which are more fast paced then admin etc

Really enjoyed reading this. You spoke about a lot of feelings I am having regarding work. I am not a social person in the typical sense of social butterfly, likes to be with a group. Not at all. However, when I was working, I did find having opportunities to talk with people who I felt comfortable with was very helpful. My anxiety, however, tries to tell me that I need to be locked away in a closet working with no social interaction. I also liked your comment that sometimes our "instincts" can lead us astray. It seems that our society places a great deal of emphasis on our gut instincts, but what if your gut instinct says to do things that also seem counterproductive, like quit your job? It sort of leaves the anxiety-sufferer in a position where she can't trust herself.

That being said, I did have to quit my job recently. It was more than I could handle. The environment was an anxiety trigger and I still haven't recovered. So, I can certainly say that different types of jobs can accentuate depression and anxiety. You might not be able to find the perfect job, but working with a professional to discover positive and negative work environments can knock out some of the issue.

Sure, I do it all the time. Work is primarily what causes my anxiety and depression, so it's more or less inescapable while I'm there. Or, to use my Father's observation, "That's why they call it work." In his generation you were simply expected to grit your teeth and resolutely march forward no matter what. I try and follow his example, it's certainly not easy. Makes me respect him more, though, for working all those years to support a wife and 3 kids.

yes work is impossible when you have both anxiety and depression. i lost so much weight down to under 7 stone (dont do Kg sorry!) which was i guess the beginning of the tangible signs of anxiety and depression. although for the longest time i didnt realise that i had anxiety. its only now years later that i realise that i had acute anxiety and if i had stayed in work i am pretty sure i would have become manic depressive/bi polar. it was only when i met Ricky who had manic depression and talked about his life that i realised shit that sounds just like me. suffice it to say his life was a mess everything became unworkable and sadly he committed suicide.
    cough and the world coughs with you. fart and you fart alone
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.