Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

How long does it take to build a tolerance to Xanax?

I'm currently on .5mg 2x a day, how long will it take to build up a tolerance? Will I have to up my dose for my anxiety to go away? I've read that it stops working after a while but I want to know how long so that I can talk to my Dr. about it. So how long will it take to build a tolerance to the point where I will have to up my dose to 1mg? Thanks. Also, I've been taking it for about 1 week.

I don't know the answer to your question but I just want you to be very careful and know that xanax can be addicting. I have never tried it because my psychiatrist will only give me Tranxene. he doesn't like to use Xanax because it is so addicting. The reason I'm asking you to be cautious is because I noticed something you said on another post - that you are happy for the first time because you're on xanax. If it's because it's finally treating your anxiety, that's okay.

Well yeah, I've been having anxiety for a long time and this is finally working. It helps me to not be in such a bad mood and I'm able to have fun (I don't mean by taking it recreationally). But thank you for your help and for caring. It means a lot.

I know exactly what you mean. I've just recently started taking Buspar and it is helping my anxiety and makes such a difference by
    not worrying so much.

I am not a doctor so I am not qualified to give advice about medication. Having said that, I personally would not choose to take Xanax every day, for a long period of time, to control anxiety. I have Xanax and it does work great -- but I use it only prn and when really necessary. If you need a medication to take on a daily basis to control anxiety, you might ask your doctor about an SSRI and/or a beta-blocker. Best wishes, Kuma