Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Has religion made your anxiety and depression bettor or worse?

I'm just wondering where people are at on this. Just so you know where I'm coming from, I grew up very religious and I guess my religious beliefs were comforting at first. But after awhile I had a hard time believing what I was supposed to believe. As I got older and started to have major anxiety issues, I kept turning to God for help, but it never helped, and that just made me wonder why. Ultimately, religion made my issues worse.

Today, I no longer believe in that religion and I am much happier and better off for it. (I've intentionally not told what religion I used to believe in, but if you are comfortable doing so then you are welcome to identify your own faith or former faith, of course).

Thanks for taking the time to respond. -- Chris

For me religion has made it better.. My faith makes me feel better and helps me remain calm..

I have to say that if I didn't have my faith, I probably would be in a mental hospital.... Sorry you had a bad experience.

Having faith in something is a deeply personal experience. We all find comfort in something, for some it is religion, for others it is something else.

For me it is quite basic, my faith lies in myself, and my ability to overcome whatever life has thrown at me. However long it takes.

Good luck to you finding what you have faith in, it will come, and doesn't necessarily mean that it is something you are "supposed" to believe in. We are all different.

Cheers

I studied science in university. I have a hard time reconciling religion and science in the face of concrete evidence regarding evolution and the geologic record. But everyone is different and has to discover their own place in the world.

My faith has helped me immensely.

You guys mean the illusion of god helped you?
    It would be better not to post that topic , we have many members scared for life by religion and the brainwashing behind it

Agrees Dahila!

Arrggghhhh , I hate autocorrect. Agreed is what I tried to type. lol

You should see what my daughter send me cause the auto-correct, then I send her question mark, and it usually takes at least 4 tries to get what she wants. I have it off. Maybe it is useful sometimes, but mostly unnecessary feature; that's my opinion
    Would be nice to do what was done to last one, we killed it with jokes; remember it?
    Thanks Pam