Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Sensations on Arms and Wrists

Hi, I am new to this community so first I wanna introduce myself. I am a 24 year old female and have been suffering from periods on anxiety off and on for a while now. I have had a bad spell in the last 6 months that I am still having trouble shaking, this time depression has been added to the mix. It's been a lot of ups and downs but I thought I would ask a question about one of the symptoms I experience during my downs.

It seems that when I get upset (whether it due more to anxiety or depression) I experience these sensations in my arms arms and wrists. It's like a slight tingling and I am unsure if I am really physically feeling it or if its just like an added mental attention to these areas. I think it's because I have a fear that my anxiety and depression will eventually get so bad that I will not want to live (and these are areas sensitive to suicide, like slitting your wrists).

My question is does anyone else experience similar sensations because of their anxiety? And I am not referring to the typical numbness you receive, but specific locations due to a fear? And what do you do to alleviate this? Thanks so much.

Hey Lauren

Welcome my friend.

How long would you say it's been since your recent 'episode' begun. Are you a long time sufferer, or did things take a bad turn one days no send you down a road of confusion and fear?

And another question. Would you say the sensations you get are a tingling feeling, or a crawling feeling?

I'm Jesse, by the way!

I get a weird sensation on my left arm and right leg. I don't consider them "numbness" just an unexplainable feeling.

And when I get mad I feel dizzy and scared because I think I might pass out.

I'd say my recent episode started about 6 months ago and has different degrees in severity day to day. I have had bad times before but never for this long with this intensity.

A little like a tingling feeling, but more just like extreme attention to those areas. Like I am very aware of them. I do not wish to harm myself but I feel like this is my bodies way of being afraid of myself.

Thanks for your reply Jesse!

Hello Lauren.

When I have an anxiety attack my arms, hands, face and legs have a tingling feeling. Eventually they cramp up and it's hard to move. You will also get very dizzy.
    The reason this happens is because when you panic your breathing gets faster. When you hyperventilate you get this tingling sensation... Just need to learn to control your breathing. Not sure if this is related to yours? Also if you are on certain types of medication (SSRI) this can be a side effect x x
    Last edited by Yazzy; 04-16-2014 at 01:52 PM.