Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

How is everyone's Progress?

Just wanted to get back to posting on here. I posted mainly when i was having trouble and then got kaught up with things and stopped for a while when i was making progress. But i just want to see how everyone here is holding up. Good i hope? If not post here anyway, it would help others alot too to see a bit of everything here, maybe you are experiencing something that another kan relate to. Well, post 'em people...now..
    Her mind a machine, a repetitive thing.

Hey Angel,
    It's been a long time since I've posted or even posted a reply.

I am having somewhat of a difficult time right now. I am gearing up for a trip to San Diego and already getting really nervous. Friends that are going with me have no idea that I am agoraphobic. I am so nervous about going on a plane (never been on one) the huge airport and going to the zoo and things like that.

Does anyone have any advice or coping techniques that I can use or start to practice before my trip which is in MARCH ! So that means I have 3 solid months of practicing and coping. HEHEHE. I know those months are going to go by fast.

Anything little ideas will help. Thanks

???????

Im guessing the best way to travel, would be feel completely safe with everyone you are going with. Dont think too much about the future, anticipation seems to be the killer of most anxious people....especially me, when the time komes it wont be as bad as you think its going to be..Just do your daily work of Deep breathing and WHEN you do imagine that the time has kome imagine it with positive images, You getting on the plane, being safe, with safe people and arriving and being fine. And having fun, Cause thats what it sounds like its for...get out of jersey for a while..Well, i know you will do fine, but just keep things positive, even if you feel like the negative sometimes surpasses, just always go back to knowing, that you are with friends that you trust.

Edit- OH! You should really tell your friends about what you are going through. Really. It would help you a whole lot more, plus im pretty sure, they could help you out with anything you asked for help in, such as desensitizing and what not...if you havent already done it..or if you HAVE to..
    Her mind a machine, a repetitive thing.

I don't know about coping techniques, but I can offer my own experience with airplanes...I was sooo anxious about getting on one when I went to Mexico (it was my first time on a plane too). But once we took off, I just looked out my window and the view was incredible. Then I just listened to music and pretended I was in my own room. It was not that bad afterall, and I really like plane rides now, they are relaxing.

Maybe you can take some relaxinf music with you, and maybe a handheld video game so you can entertain yourself (If that would make you feel too imature, then bring something else to entertain yourself the whole ride there). Remember, its worrying that make your anxiety higher.
    "People's Negativities Are Their Disabilities"

You can try some Deep Breathing Techniques if you want to help you relax, before you go on your tip. My Counselor taught this techique to me and it helps me calm down a little when I get really anxious about things. Also I agree with Cristy about listening to relaxing music, you can try that as well, I know I was going to get some relaxation CD's to try, but unfortidently I never got around to getting them.

http://www.rochester.edu/ucc/breathing.htm

http://www.vcn.bc.ca/rmdcmha/breath.html

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am gonna try the breathing techniques cuz I can atleast practice those for a while to get the hang of it. I'm sure its not gonna be as bad as I think (or atleast I hope not). I'll try to remember that its a time for fun, but sometimes its hard to see that when ur going thru panic attacks and stuff. I guess what wont kill me will make me stronger. HEHEHE

Once again thanks! Ill keep everyone posted

ANNA

Not so scared about the plane ride, its more of the car trip to the airport that I am worried about. I think I will take a packet of Xanax with me in case I panicked. Meanwhile, I always hum, "what if i get over it safely.", "what if i actually enjoyed the car rides'' whenever I can sense the creepy thoughts coming. Its helps to stop the little creepy thoughts from turning into monsters. All the same, I imagined being happy around my room, swimming watever.