Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Kefir/Probiotics

For anybody that doesn't know. Kefir/probiotics are just fermented products, filled with good bacteria.

Kefir can be made at home for just a few £/$

They've been linked to better gut health, better immune health, and better overall health including better mental health. Taking any kind of live culture is a MUST when taking antibiotics. I see many people here taking antibiotics, but don't take any live culture.

This isn't dangerous, but can upset the balance of your body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir.

I've never made kefir, but I will now.

Dahila, I made this thread cos I need your help

But anyone in future can read and learn. Especially useful if you have IBS, or poor digestion.

My questions to you Dahila.

What is the best type of kefir to make? Is water kefir good, or doesn't it matter?

What does kefir taste like?

Do you put sugar in it, or is that just for taste?

I use the milk grains, right now at the this moment I made a smoothie mango, strawberries, banana, peach , organic unbleached sugar and milk kefir, it is delicious) People make Kombucha but I do not enjoy the taste, so I stick with my milk grains, you could use any milk from skim to whole millk. It grows like crazy and I am selling it, what surprised me is always young people. The last client was dietitian , she got it for reflux disease. ) Kefir is kind of tangy taste, i add some sugar so it is pretty tasty, I do not use sugar at all, just in my smoothies. It goes nice when I mix some of sour cream in it, taste like buttermilk
    Use only plastic tools or real stainless strainer and spoon. The grains are alive and contain 55 strains of life bacteria , when yogurt, pro-biotic yogurt contains only 15 or less

oh and do not wash it (you can rinse it with water) with tap water, I use my filtered water, they do not like chlorine
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Interesting, interesting.

I like the idea of kefir smoothies.

Thanks Dahila!

Is Brita filter chlorine free? Can I use that?

So walk me through how you make your kefir quickly. How is the healthiest way. Do you get your grains, add water to it, and let it ferment?

I use Brita , it is good enough for the sinus rince is good enough for the Kefir grains. I rinse them from time to time when they getting sticky. You do not have to do this regularly or at all

kefir and kefir
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Wonderful Dahila

I am going to make it this week. I can't wait to try it.

Awesome, you will not believe what a difference it makes. It keeps the candida at bay )
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore