Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

What are your strategies for dealing with anxiety?

So far, medication and therapy has not worked.
    The only thing that works for me (sometimes) is distraction. When I am focused on an activity or something I totally forget about whats making me anxious and worried. How about you guys?

Thanks

small dose of clonazepam 0.5 mg once a day for the last probably 5 years. Distraction, meditation, hobbies, keeping busy, I am trying to live for the last 50 years if not more with anxiety
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Many:

Try the following game. It's currently on sale through Steam on PC but will most likely go back in price after this weekend.

OR you could just even sit back and watch the following HD playthrough ... that alone will help ease one's angst.

ABZU cinematic playthrough:
    Click picture and prepare to Dstress. : )

I also do a LOT of other things to Dstress ... but don't want to stress making a long list in here. Fact is ... in order to Dstress - a lvl of stress must be endured.
    Last edited by Ponder; 06-03-2018 at 10:53 PM.

I think it's different for everyone. I have suffered anxiety since childhood and I am 20 now. The best way for me has been therapy as I gained skills on how to coach my mind to be calmer. Taking deep breaths throughout the day has also been a good way for me to give my mind and body a break from my anxiousness. I find taking long walks and exercising regularly quite helpful as well. One of the quickest way to divert your mind from anxiety is by watching tv. At the end of the day,it really is upto you to figure out what calms you the most. Hope this helps!

For me deep breathing is a life saver. The only problem is it's better to start as your anxiety is just starting. For me once my panic attack has set in the breathing doesn't work anymore and I just have to ride it out. One other thing that also works is a positive "I'll be fine" mindset. Speak aloud to yourself that you're not going to die, nothing bad is going to happen it's just anxiety,even if something does happen, there's always 911. If you ain't over 65 death is unlikely for any reason.

For me I had to change my whole mental outlook on life. For most of my life I was a very pessimistic and glass half empty type person. I felt that by being pessimistic I would not be let down if I failed because I wasn't expecting that much. This thought process only contributed to my anxiety though. It caused more worry and doubt. Eventually I made the decision to be a more positive person. I try NOT to dwell on anything negative or associate with negative people. A positive mindset has really helped open my eyes to life's possibilities and shown me that I matter! (Sorry not trying to be corny or over dramatic but it's true!)

I hope this helps!

Anxiety is a gut-level (subconscious) reaction, so most techniques that effectively address it have to address the gut-level. Cognitive advice usually doesn't go far. But one thing you could try doing is to visualize yourself years later, in old age, realizing then that you wasted your life being anxious about things that didn't warrant it and what your reaction would be at that age.

Another cognitive exercise to do is to visualize people who really do have valid reasons to be anxious (people living in war zones, people living below poverty in the 3rd world, young people who have been in accidents and can't walk, etc) and basically think about how your being anxious about "silly stuff" is a disservice to people who are really suffering.

Thankfully there is also the non-judgmental approach.

Mindfulness helps. Simply focus on the breathing and observe the bodily sensations of anxiety.