Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Post HEALTH ANXIETY EXPOSED - Living With Risk

This is my thread to attempt to assist those with health anxiety.

I will post as regularly as time allows to try and address some of the issues, myths and misconceptions about both health in general, but also how we tackle living with risk in our lives.

We all take risks daily whether it's driving a car, plugging in a kettle or diving off a cliff edge tied to a bungee rope.

Many of us do not consciously associate day to day tasks with risk, mainly because the risks are low and the benefits of taking them are high.

This thread will explore the same principle in relation to health, and question why we have a tendency to not apply the same "low risk/high benefit" thought process.

There will be soft exposure to the main illnesses commonly worried about (so anyone who is excessively triggered perhaps may want to view tentatively

Please feel free to join in.

The first post coming up in a few moments focuses on Cancer (for those trigger happy folk)
    "Every form of addiction is bad, no matter whether the narcotic be alcohol, morphine or idealism.” - C.G. Jung

Cancer - The big C?

CANCER. The big C?

In terms of health anxiety, Cancer is up there right near the top of list of the most worried about illnesses.

Ok, so there are SO many types of it, most people will of heard of/know someone who has suffered with it, and of course it is a horrendous illness!

Is there any wonder that SO many people worry relentlessly about potentially having it?

Like any major cause of death, there is always going to be an element of anxiety about it in most people (even those mentally well).

One of the major differences between the average Joe and those with health anxiety is not simply the doubting (WHAT IF) thinking, but a firmly anchored subconscious choice in perspective.

YES I said "choice", I am not insinuating that someone consciously chooses to live in constant fear of disease and illness, but somewhere back there in your deepest thoughts lies the decision to either say YES to the positive or YES to the negative.

To give an example, let's take a look at some of the media, drip fed to the public on a regular basis.......before anyone starts reaching for the Benzo's keep reading first!

" 1 in 4 Americans will experience CANCER at some point in their life".

- American Cancer Society (2013)

Ok....ok.....ok....ok calm down.....c'mon......breath.....whoo...whoo...whoo. ..whoo..whoo........aaaaannnndddd relaaaaxxxxxx!

NOW! This sounds HUGE ....Terrible.....Seriously worrying......OR IS IT?

If we look at those two choices we addressed earlier, (positive or negative) and observe these figures with a little perspective.

How do the SAME statistics appear if we flip the data?

"3 in 4 Americans will NEVER experience CANCER at ANY point in their life".

The same information? Different message? Not really!

The only real difference is that the information is subconsciously interpreted more positively.

I know...I know, those saying YES to the NEGATIVE are now screaming "what if I am in the 25%"?

Ask yourself the following questions

What if you are? - What will worrying do about it other than ruin the time you are healthy?

2. What if you are not? - what will worrying do about it other than ruin the time you are healthy?

3. What if I am at higher risk of developing it.

WHAT WILL WORRYING DO ABOUT IT OTHER THAN RUIN THE TIME YOU ARE HEALTHY!!!!
    "Every form of addiction is bad, no matter whether the narcotic be alcohol, morphine or idealism.” - C.G. Jung

I like the thread very much. Cancer is a trigger for many people, I just accept my benign, so far, what can I do? Nothing..
    Cancer runs in my family I probably will get more than the one I have...... but ....I will deal with it when it comes. I am not going to summon it) I am as scared as everyone else...
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Quote Originally Posted by forwells View Post
    Great idea , i have moved you up the mountain .
    Many thanks Forwells!

Yes!!!! Thank you 14!!!!! many many thanks.......

Enduronman...
    I made a sock puppet,..and liked it. SO THEN I JUST TOOK A PILL.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Outstanding thread! Brilliant, genius perspective!!!

Thanks for starting it!
    ~Pam

Great thread 14

This is how everyone should look at their problems. You choose whether you want to look at it from a positive perspective or from a negative perspectiv, this is very true. This will help lots of people, including me. Thanks!

Elias
    Proffesor deReal - at your service!

Please, 14 keep posting )
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Maybe you could try to shed some light on anxiety itself and what the disorder does to our health. I am very sensitive to all meds that I have tried, and quite frankly have a hard time trusting any of the potential side affects. I am getting ready to go back on 5 mg of Lexapro, (half the average dose). I stopped last time because I was increased to 10 mg and went haywire, but up until this point it worked better than any other, and within 3-4 days I noticed a considerable difference. I catch myself worrying about my heart to the point of a panic attack-you know, all the shaking, nervousness and waking up like I just got done working out, etc. My counselor told me the other day that it is worse for my heart not to be on a baseline med because "bad" anxiety itself is not good for the body and/or the heart. This has almost become a game with me, as I'm sure many of you can relate to. It sure would be nice to find that common ground again, but it seems futile at this point-I'm a new man, and think the old one is gone forever. And, not to mention the health of relationships. My wife and kids have been affected by this, noticeably, and there is such a disconnect between my wife and I that everything just feels dead. I am at a total loss with this, because it is really no one's fault. Any input? Sorry if I hijacked this, as it is not my intention. (Now my 14 year old, beautiful little girl is starting to deal with this same stuff, and it makes me feel so darn guilty-she had her first panic attack in school the other day and we were called by the guidance counselor! This just robs you of everything, and it is a constant battle to not let that happen, along with fighting through everything else!) Thanks all!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael p View Post
    Maybe you could try to shed some light on anxiety itself and what the disorder does to our health. I am very sensitive to all meds that I have tried, and quite frankly have a hard time trusting any of the potential side affects. I am getting ready to go back on 5 mg of Lexapro, (half the average dose). I stopped last time because I was increased to 10 mg and went haywire, but up until this point it worked better than any other, and within 3-4 days I noticed a considerable difference. I catch myself worrying about my heart to the point of a panic attack-you know, all the shaking, nervousness and waking up like I just got done working out, etc. My counselor told me the other day that it is worse for my heart not to be on a baseline med because "bad" anxiety itself is not good for the body and/or the heart. This has almost become a game with me, as I'm sure many of you can relate to. It sure would be nice to find that common ground again, but it seems futile at this point-I'm a new man, and think the old one is gone forever. And, not to mention the health of relationships. My wife and kids have been affected by this, noticeably, and there is such a disconnect between my wife and I that everything just feels dead. I am at a total loss with this, because it is really no one's fault. Any input? Sorry if I hijacked this, as it is not my intention. (Now my 14 year old, beautiful little girl is starting to deal with this same stuff, and it makes me feel so darn guilty-she had her first panic attack in school the other day and we were called by the guidance counselor! This just robs you of everything, and it is a constant battle to not let that happen, along with fighting through everything else!) Thanks all!!
    Hi Michael

Certainly sounds like you have an eclectic mix of issues going on at the moment.

If you have a scan around the many threads on the forum you will absolutely find many people going through very similar situations that you are facing right now.

In regards to this particular thread, I am focusing primarily on the thought processes surrounding health anxiety in particular.

Interesting point that you raise regarding medication side effects!

Many people do suffer quite severe and genuinely horrible side effects (see the multiple posts documenting Forwells' struggles over the years).

In contrast though, there are many people who are very much "pro medication" (See the many posts from Enduroman)

Fear or more realistically put, "suspicion" of medication and the "potential" side effects are often a greater battle than any genuine effect on the body.

What I mean by this is, there are so many medications and often it's a case of finding the ones that suit. But there can also be a tendency where "suggestion" also plays a role. For example, I am currently dealing with a woman in her mid 30's, has been on and off meds for the last 8 years, she doesn't have the chance to see if the meds actually work (take around 6 weeks to stabilise in the system), as she develops every side effect that is detailed on the packet booklet.

She then heads to the GP to begin withdrawing (which gives more side effects) and the cycle continues. She has been on Seroquel now for 9 weeks, and has exhausted the full list of common and not so common side effects and is now begging the rare (1 in 10,000) list. She sits for a session wearing full UV block sunglasses (full coverage similar to what blind people wear), because she has developed "photosensitivity".

My point being (and I'm not saying that your suspicion of medication goes quite as far), but there comes a point where you have to balance out whether you prefer the way you feel with meds or without, rather than overly concerning yourself with what symptoms they are producing. (Unless they are seriously effecting your mood or physical body for the worse).

Regards the issue about worry over your heart (the next instalment of the thread will deal with just that)!

I am sure you will find both relevance and relief from being a part of this forum.

Best wishes