Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Panic panic panic!

I'm so sick of living this way. I have severe panic attacks that interrupt my daily living all the time. I grew up not so bad. My parents were divorced. My mom moved me far from dad. I had major issues with needing to be perfect with appearance, grades, sports. Basically anything I did if I didn't excel I couldn't deal. I think that there may have been a standard put on me since day one by numerous people my parents and grandparents. All in all though these are every day problems and I can't figure out why I have this panic disorder that consumes me. I literally can't function normally. I try but always seem to fail. If I work, I lose confidence with my employer having to leave often for "breaks" to get over an attack. Now I'm in university and a single mom trying to accomplish something to show my daughter she can do anything and I am having to leave class sometimes due to attacks. It's exhausting! The worst part is knowing my attacks are completely irrational and they usually have me believing I'm going to die for some unknown reason. Usually I jump to an irrational medical issue I "may" be having. I don't understand why if I know it's irrational it won't stop! At one point they were so bad I was almost agoraphobic but I made it through that. I'm just so tired!

Hi terristew, I'm really sorry you are having such a tough time at the moment.
    Are you taking any medication? Or having any therapy to help?
    Anxiety is horrible the best way I have found to deal with panic attacks is just to sit and ride them out. I usually grab a large glass of ice cold water and sit myself down, sip the water slowly and wait for it to pass.
    I no that might be difficult out and about but if you do it will teach you not to run away from the panic, and eventually they won't faze you as much.
    I hope you feeling better soon

Quote Originally Posted by frankiecfc View Post
    Welcome here terristew. It sucks you feel that way but take heart you're not alone in it. There's some great people here happy to listen and support.
    Thanks I'm hoping to find support here. I participate in all these parenting forums and never realized there's a whole community going through what i am.

Hi Terri! Welcome to the forums!

That does sound incredibly exhausting. Are there any specific moments when you start having the attack? I mean can you find any links between the attacks and what's going on around you? A lot of people here suggest exercise as a good way to help! I know there are times when it does help me to go for a walk and get rid of that pent up energy that makes me abnormally frantic.

I hope you find things here to make your days go by a lot smoother! You're in the right place for it ^^

Quote Originally Posted by petrified View Post
    Hi terristew, I'm really sorry you are having such a tough time at the moment. Are you taking any medication? Or having any therapy to help? Anxiety is horrible the best way I have found to deal with panic attacks is just to sit and ride them out. I usually grab a large glass of ice cold water and sit myself down, sip the water slowly and wait for it to pass. I no that might be difficult out and about but if you do it will teach you not to run away from the panic, and eventually they won't faze you as much. I hope you feeling better soon
    The worst part about it is it sort of prevents me from taking medications. I have these weird built in fears. I pretty much won't take anything if I'm not in a hospital being watched. I also have the same weird fears about new foods or high risk for allergy foods. I agree with you water seems to help. I used to be able to just walk outside for a few minutes and the fresh air would help but with my daughter and the cold weather it's hard (I'm in Canada). I recently started seeing a therapist again. She's definitely helping trying to work on breathing and meditation. It's obvious that I have trouble slowing down she said. So gotta get that breathing better and slower and lower this pulse of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by hippysilverware View Post
    Hi Terri! Welcome to the forums! That does sound incredibly exhausting. Are there any specific moments when you start having the attack? I mean can you find any links between the attacks and what's going on around you? A lot of people here suggest exercise as a good way to help! I know there are times when it does help me to go for a walk and get rid of that pent up energy that makes me abnormally frantic. I hope you find things here to make your days go by a lot smoother! You're in the right place for it ^^
    Ya one thing I noticed is I need proper rest, hydration and I have to watch my caffeine intake. Those things just help with some of it though. Doesn't deal with it all. I think I have many triggers. Hard to pin point them all. I should put more effort in exercise, might help ya.

Hi and welcome. I relate to you a lot. As the oldest granddaughter from both sides of my family I had tremendous pressure to show my youngest cousins that going to college, getting straight A's and working full time was possible. I too have a 4 year old daughter and it is hard to hide my attacks when I am with her. I am terrified to pass out from an attack and she is going to see me on the floor. Stopping caffeine helps at least it did for me. I drink mostly herbal teas like chamomile or yogi tea for tension and relaxation. Try bubble bath too. Most of all tell yourself that you have to get better for your child and you dont want your child to have traumatizing memories of a mother freaking out.
    There is a lot of support here. You are not alone in this.

Yes I completely want to avoid her seeing it. I've had them so long it is pretty rare the attacks spread beyond my own mind not sure if you know what I mean but it's like I'm crippled inside but nobody around me knows it. I've already received so much from people here and it's only my first day. Everyone is so great. It is a hard problem to explain to people who don't experience it. I often get the "why don't you just stop or think positive speech".