Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

New to New York. Need New Doctor. Already take Xanax

So, I recently moved to New York City. I've been seeing my psychiatrist from my home state (AZ) for many years. He prescribed me Pristiq and Xanax which I have been taking everyday for years and in AZ I have never had a problem getting my medicine. Now I'm worried that won't be so easy in NY.

These are my worries/problems; I need to find a new doctor in NY (and of course money is an issue, my insurance does not cover mental health) and once I finally find a doctor or practitioner who can prescribe me my medicine I don't want to have to go back every month and dish out hundreds of dollars just to get my medicine(xanax). Also, in AZ I only saw my doctor every 4-6 months.

I don't know if there are many doctors in the city who do 15 minute med check appointments or who will postdate prescriptions. I feel weird asking that when I call their offices asking about pricing and stuff too, I don't want to give off the wrong impression. This controlled substance law is insane. Even if I see a doctor and we decide that i should stop taking xanax it would still take several months until I don't need new prescriptions. I'm on a time limit too because my current prescription is running out. I also use pfizer's 'connection to care' program to get my pristiq.

Does anybody else with limited means take similar medicine? If so, or even if you don't, any help, suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sorry for the long/confusing post.

Dear Darit,

I'm not sure about pristiq but Xanax is tightly controlled and thus difficult to get in NYC.

Metropolitan Hospital 96th street and first avenue has a walk-in outpatient clinic for psychiatry. [It is one of the oldest in the nation; and is a real service to the city.] You go really early in the morning, get there before 7:15 to line up.. The clinic doctors and nurses do an intake evaluation that includes giving a urine sample, telling them what you need, etc. etc.

The hospital has a sliding fee scale, so you will need to bring tax returns or in some way show that you don't have a lot of money. Look up the hospital, even call them to get the info. If you are living with a relative or haven't found a job, just tell them that. They need some sort of understanding of your financial situation, but they aren't strict. It's their mandate to help people in need.

The really important thing to do is to have the number of your previous doctor handy, or, a prescription record from your pharmacy. The doctors want to check to make sure that you are not abusing the drug, that you've only taken your prescribed dosage. If all goes well, you'll walk out with a new prescription.

In no case in NY state can you get refills on Xanax, you must go back each month to get a new written prescription. No fooling around with postdating stuff, etc.

To make a long story short, benzos are really frowned upon in NY. Go to Metropolitan Hospital, explain your situation. Make sure you can verify your drug history. Bring your medicine bottles with you. Explain why you were prescribed these medications. Have as much paperwork as you can get. Your pharmacy might have an online history of your prescriptions. The doctors will be suspicious, but you need to explain to them that in Arizona Xanax is not a controlled substance, or the laws aren't as strict. I'm sure that once you tell the doctors that you've been under the care of a psychiatrist in AZ, and can give them his or her number, you'll be fine.

Here's the website: http://newyorkcity.ny.networkofcare....hiatry_754_2_0

Really, this is the best first step when you are low on funds.
    Last edited by Perses; 02-12-2014 at 09:10 AM.
    "The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven." - John Milton Paradise Lost

Thank you so much Perses, this is a huge help!!! This definitely will relieve some of my stress.

Glad to help.
    "The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven." - John Milton Paradise Lost