Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Driving in traffic or red lights!

My anxiety while driving in high traffic and red lights is out of hand at times! I get so worked up during rush hour traffic or red light I feel like I'm going to pass out! Anyone else deal with this and any methods to help besides calling someone?! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDewar View Post
    My anxiety while driving in high traffic and red lights is out of hand at times! I get so worked up during rush hour traffic or red light I feel like I'm going to pass out! Anyone else deal with this and any methods to help besides calling someone?! Thanks!
    The ol "I don't have an escape route" while in traffic was one of my worst fears

I had a few panic attacks while in my car which only made it worse

I would read the license plates on the other cars for temporary relief

But it was really when I stopped fearing panic attacks that it, and everything else, just stopped
    "Y'all didn't have to shoot me" ~ Harambe

Hi Mike,

I once brought this subject up but go no reply. It's good to know I am not alone. Absolutely a resounding YES.

For me, this issue extends to missing turns and finding my way.

My reaction can make me feel faint and at other times I fly into a rage. I become faint when I wake up at the wheel wondering how long it was that I was asleep from point A to Point B. Waking up at the lights wondering "Great Zeus WTF!!!!!" Then I feel a little faint. Other times I feel as if I am driving through a haze of confusion wondering where it is I am suppose to go and what I am doing - prolonged exposure to that can also have my feeling quite giddy ...

I find pulling over and getting out helps, but not so good on the highway with so many cars about and not much space on the side of the lane. I'll slow down to a point that does not piss off others, yet allows me to focus on righting my head - again it's like waking up in a haze -

Traffic - it's not exactly a natural thing and the bigger, faster and more we humans become, I dare say there will be many more of us waking up and or flipping our like so - lets just be happy it's not wrapped around a tree.