Quote Originally Posted by forwells View Post
Applecherry

I think there is a HUGE difference between passing on good strong information which is helpful and trying to ram your own personal issues down someones throat .

I find that this YouTube, although had some good information ( mostly around the panic side of things ) lost alot of creditability with me when he wants to tell people what they should do and not do .

I am sure the rant about that you should never take meds does more harm than it does good . Anxiety no matter what anxiety, needs to be fought on a personally level , with each case looked at and the effect that that anxiety is having on that person. When one person wishes to toss their options that just because their way helped them that this is the only way and is the way everyone should do it , then we end up helping some but then we end up hurting others .

I love the way that such people like to tell you about all the people that they have helped out but there is never any mention of the ones they didnt help . I have seen people here change in weeks from simply understanding whats happening but i have also seen it by simply taking meds . The later i hope use this time to learn but belive that many dont and will be back . Its not that meds are the problem but that they are not using them as they are intend to be used as a aid to help move on .

You see anxiety is not just about fear , yes fear plays a large part in keeping you there but it is often other factors that got you there such as stress , the working of the human body itself also plays a large part . Often a person may be able to change their reaction to fears but because of stressful things that they can not change at this time or the fact that their anxiety is so high that it is all most impossible to change they may need the additional help of meds .

I do not like meds and in fact if it was not for meds i would not be in this mess but in saying that if it was not for people such as this guy and his spewing of how bad and harmful meds are then i might have taken meds along time ago and moved pass this a lot more than i have in the last five years . I spent five years fighting something that i could never win simply because it was in my body and not in my mind . In all that time all i was doing was fighting and not healing because all i had strength for was fighting . I do not believe that meds heal but they can be part of such healing.

If someone anxiety is mild then yes meds may bring more problems to the mix but there are people here that i see that the only way they will move on is to get the help from meds . Because with their problem, although they have been brainwashed into believing that it is fear is in fact nothing more than stress that is being caused from having to face the most horrible symptoms daily or in fact a body that is not working as it should be because it is so out of balance from when the anxiety was bought on and they are fighting this .

Again yes anxiety can be about fear but lets face it there is not a person around that would not feel panic from the symptoms because that it what they are meant to do.

The whole problem with mental health and this is on every single level from therapist to the people suffering is that there is some sort of dissociation that the brain and the body are two different things that do not work together .

This is not a dig at you but a simply fact that for some meds can be as dramatic as life and death when it comes down to it and it is people like this i truly believe are playing with peoples lives . Trust me when i speak, i speak from experience , that i have had the most horrible symptoms bought about from meds but i would never tell someone that may benifit from meds that would help them move on not to take them.

cheers
Well, I do agree with you in that case, I think meds are a good thing for anxious people. I have been taking Zoloft for nearly 2 years, it's not a magical cure for my anxiety by any means, when they first kicked in for me, I started feeling good again for about 5 or 6 months, then some life stressors were hitting me again, and I got my first panic attack in ages, that was hard to deal with.. I would bet many people like me first starting on meds think they are gonna protect you from anxiety, but they don't. They simply cut down on symptoms caused by adrenalin.

but yeah, I do agree, that guy was pretty full of himself, and had not really in my opinion experienced quite the level of anxiety disorder to know what he was talking about (he might at some point) but not as of now. He was just a bit cocky thinking he had the answers, and that he knew how to rid of anxiety forever. I at one point thought the same til several more bouts with it. You start to pick up, that it's not gonna go anywhere..that it comes and goes.. the type of medication someone would need definitely does vary, but also really think finding ways to feel good by getting into hobbies and making friends really works so much better than anything else.