Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: propranalol

propranalol

Anyone take this for anxiety?
    ؟•❤◦.¸¸. ◦✿ Alaina ❤◦.¸¸. ◦✿?

Yea 80 mg er it's helped with the fast heart rate part of my anxiety but not really with the other symptoms like worrying thoughts and just a overall anxious feeling. Definitely does help me with the heart rate tho at least my hr doesn't spike up to 180 for no reason at all !

I took it and it is crazy how I feel it working. I hear it basically blocks adrenaline affects on the heart....which, anxiety causes. What side effects did you notice?

Yes I've been on this for years on and off,it's a really good med I would recommend it to anyone,I've had no side effect on it or coming off it

It is the only medication that I would recommend for anxiety suffers to be honest and having tried them all. It does nothing for the mental aspects of anxiety (but you are best learning to beat that yourself) but it stops your body working against you - it is technically impossible to have a fully blown panic attack on Propranalol - your heart and breathing rate just will not go into the stratosphere no matter how much you try - slight downside si that when you exercise hard you almost reach a point of stop or collapse pretty soon as it literally limits your max heart rate. At the right dose it stops shaking and tremor completely so is also good for people worried about that or with social anxiety - it is a banned substance with athletes (especially archery, shooting, snooker or anything that needs a steady hand) because it is so good with steadying nerves - many professional musicians and surgeons also use it to steady their hands. It is quite safe and has been around a long time. Only side effects are cold hands and feet at first and a slight lethargy - does not make you feel "drugged" or woozy at all. And, best of all, it prevents heart attack and stops stress damaging your heart over the years. There is no tolerance developed over time, it is not addictive and there is no withdrawal - though you should tell your doctor before stopping it.

40mg x3 a day for me. One a day as standard and up to 3 if needs be. Dr advised not to go over 120mg otherwise the slower heart rate will cause problems. Since taking it...well I still get the aches and pains most days on and off as ever. But i'm guessing it took a long time with weorry and anxiety for it to manifest itself physically. So stunting adrenaline production won't exactly provide an over night cure for me and will take time to work itself out.

Ed

I did notice insomnia which is one of the possible side effects although I wasn't really sleeping before I started taking it it's just so hard to fall asleep sometimes

I never had an issue with insomnia until I started and subsequently stopped an SSRI. Since it's out my system I'm sleeping fine. Then again i'm also on low dose amitriptyline which is for pain moderation but also insomniacs. So maybe thats why :P

Ed

AB123 ... What are you feeling? What does it do?

The first hour or two I get a weird feeling in my legs like pins and needles but not.quite so extreme..just feels very annoying, I feel very mentally clouded also....but it really does keep my heart rate In check and I've read that those side effects go away after some time when your body gets used to the medicine.