Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Work from home?

Working form home sounds a great idea for agoraphobia. But the danger is it becomes another safety behaviour, reinforcing the anxiety. In the long run working from home will not help get rid of your agoraphobia.

Perhaps maybe a job very close to home could help such as gardening, cleaning, car valeting etc? Work for yourself. You don't to need to go too far at first maybe just within your own street, even better if your street has a small shop maybe working there a few hours a week to start with could help Maybe drop some fliers in peoples doors.

It will get you out the house and meeting people rather than shutting yourself off from the rest of the world. That only feeds agoraphobia, depression and anxiety.
    You need to enjoy your life, you can't shut yourself in for ever, that will only make you more depressed and anxious. Just do a little at a time, reflect and a little more.
    Last edited by Ambition; 12-16-2014 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambition View Post
    Working form home sounds a great idea for agoraphobia. But the danger is it becomes another safety behaviour, reinforcing the anxiety. In the long run working from home will not help get rid of your agoraphobia.

Perhaps maybe a job very close to home could help such as gardening, cleaning, car valeting etc? Work for yourself. You don't to need to go too far at first maybe just within your own street, even better if your street has a small shop maybe working there a few hours a week to start with could help Maybe drop some fliers in peoples doors.

It will get you out the house and meeting people rather than shutting yourself off from the rest of the world. That only feeds agoraphobia, depression and anxiety.
    You need to enjoy your life, you can't shut yourself in for ever, that will only make you more depressed and anxious. Just do a little at a time, reflect and a little more.
    Yes and no. Working at home does make agoraphobia worse BUT at the same time it can help. It keeps your mind busy so you don't "lose it", and you earn extra income to pay bills and get help.

I was doing pretty good at one point working as a freelance graphic designer. Made 6 figures. I now make half of that and I am looking for a job. But I save up a lot and manage to get myself an AA degree + several certificates in the Graphic Design field.

Big accomplishment for myself seeing that at one point, I couldn't even drive around the block due to my panic disorders. (CBT) is the best thing I accidentally came across. I'm no longer on meds.

I agree that it's not an ideal situation it doesn't keep your mind busy so you are not focusing on everything else that keeps your anxiety so high.
    Gardening and stuff like that is just not going to cut it though. I need to make money. I don't live in a big city so places close to home are mostly houses not shops.

I find working from home worse - I feel much better when I'm out and around people - where there are distractions

Making craft stuff like jewelry, cushions, candles etc might make you a bit of money

If you have experience or skills in graphic design there are sites that allow freelancers to take on projects and work from home. Google freelance graphics jobs if that's something you're interested in.

I'm told that if there is a "startup" cost, its a scam. Is this true? I see a lot of work from home advertisements like this. Its become clear that I may be unemployable until I can become stable. I am in really no shape to work right now. I really need to bring in some money and don't know what to do. I can't see myself making things and selling on ebay. I can't think of anything to blog about, but who knows, could try it and see. Anyone know of any legitimate work from home jobs?

Write about your life. A blog. In the outside world, many people need inspiration.

Don't know do really work from home works or not?