Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work from home?

Hybrid View

Work from home?

I have severe panic disorder and depression and I am in desperate need of a work from home job that requires no experience. Everything I have found is a scam! HELP

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaO View Post
    I have severe panic disorder and depression and I am in desperate need of a work from home job that requires no experience. Everything I have found is a scam! HELP
    All I can think and am doing is ebay (I have someone to post the Items) and youtube. , If its something to do you are after youtube is worth a go, if its money I'm at a loss. Hope this helpful, but I know it probably isn't.

you could start making natural soaps and sell it over the internet, it is easy to open the business like that.
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

I too need a work from home job. I haven't had a job as long as i have been an adult.

I definitely have agoraphobia, and it is very disruptive to my life, but I know it could be much worse.

The trip I make to work is one of the hardest trips that I make most often. It is 20 to 25 minutes by car if there is no traffic, but it can be over an hour with bad rush hour traffic.

I worry all the time, and one of my major worries is, "what if I can't make it to work anymore? It is so hard already, what if it got a little harder? Would I go on disability?"

I feel your pain. If you find the perfect work-from-home solution, please let me know.

Good luck to us all.
    Male, age 29, full-time scientist in industry, New England, USA.
    Every day: 30 mg Lexapro (escitalopram), 1 mg Klonopin (clonazepam).
    Signature updated 2015-10-30.

I ran across this thread by accident and although it's old I figure someone else may run across it too. I too have had MASSIVE issues with work because of my anxiety and depression. I started looking for at home work and found REAL jobs. I was pretty surprised as a lot tend to be scams.

A lot of companies are hiring at home customer service/tech support representatives. These are legitimate jobs, hourly pay, some pretty decent. All will require a quiet office type setting, reliable fast internet, good computer, and a dedicated phone line. The ones I have worked for have a virtual training period (paid of course) before you start actually working. One I worked for was a month long training and 9-5 five days a week. They will vary. Some of the applications are long and time consuming but may be worth it. I recommend searching on large company career sites and typing in virtual, at home, etc in the search field. This typically provides results. I made a huge list of companies that have at home positions I will try to dig it up.

You can also search outsourcing company sites such as Sitel, Teletech, etc. They hire frequently, sometimes for full time, part time, and some seasonal work. TeleFlora also offers seasonal sales reps from at home.

I hope this points some of you in the right direction.

Check out idealist.org and Craiglist for telework gigs. You can also look at e-lance if you have a skill. I have worked from home for years and just started working at an office (really hard to keep the happy face on all the time) so I know how you all feel.

Working form home sounds a great idea for agoraphobia. But the danger is it becomes another safety behaviour, reinforcing the anxiety. In the long run working from home will not help get rid of your agoraphobia.

Perhaps maybe a job very close to home could help such as gardening, cleaning, car valeting etc? Work for yourself. You don't to need to go too far at first maybe just within your own street, even better if your street has a small shop maybe working there a few hours a week to start with could help Maybe drop some fliers in peoples doors.

It will get you out the house and meeting people rather than shutting yourself off from the rest of the world. That only feeds agoraphobia, depression and anxiety.
    You need to enjoy your life, you can't shut yourself in for ever, that will only make you more depressed and anxious. Just do a little at a time, reflect and a little more.
    Last edited by Ambition; 12-16-2014 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambition View Post
    Working form home sounds a great idea for agoraphobia. But the danger is it becomes another safety behaviour, reinforcing the anxiety. In the long run working from home will not help get rid of your agoraphobia.

Perhaps maybe a job very close to home could help such as gardening, cleaning, car valeting etc? Work for yourself. You don't to need to go too far at first maybe just within your own street, even better if your street has a small shop maybe working there a few hours a week to start with could help Maybe drop some fliers in peoples doors.

It will get you out the house and meeting people rather than shutting yourself off from the rest of the world. That only feeds agoraphobia, depression and anxiety.
    You need to enjoy your life, you can't shut yourself in for ever, that will only make you more depressed and anxious. Just do a little at a time, reflect and a little more.
    Yes and no. Working at home does make agoraphobia worse BUT at the same time it can help. It keeps your mind busy so you don't "lose it", and you earn extra income to pay bills and get help.

I was doing pretty good at one point working as a freelance graphic designer. Made 6 figures. I now make half of that and I am looking for a job. But I save up a lot and manage to get myself an AA degree + several certificates in the Graphic Design field.

Big accomplishment for myself seeing that at one point, I couldn't even drive around the block due to my panic disorders. (CBT) is the best thing I accidentally came across. I'm no longer on meds.

I agree that it's not an ideal situation it doesn't keep your mind busy so you are not focusing on everything else that keeps your anxiety so high.
    Gardening and stuff like that is just not going to cut it though. I need to make money. I don't live in a big city so places close to home are mostly houses not shops.