Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: Dog died

Dog died

My dog died (she was 15 years old and the sweetest, gentlest, cutest Welsh Corgi) a few weeks ago while I was away at law school.

I didn't cry at the time. Barely felt anything.

I came home today for Spring Break and somehow something in me just snapped and I've been crying on and off all afternoon and evening. I just kept looking at the couch where she used to lie, at the spot under the kitchen table where she would sit and wait for food to be dropped. At the spot at the top of the stairs where she would wait until everyone in the family had finally come upstairs and gone to bed for the night.

It just really hit me. I'm 26 years old and I've been through a lot of hardship and loss and STILL this is grief is unbelievable.

Losing the dog is losing a member of your family. the dog was almost always with you, you were 11 when you got it. I am really sorry for your loss...crying is good, and grief must be there too. You must have wonderful memories..
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

My condolences by L_Plate_Dave, on Flickr

I may have lost hope in the human species, but never the animals!
    Last edited by Ponder; 03-08-2014 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponder View Post
    My condolences by L_Plate_Dave, on Flickr I may have lost hope in the human species, but never the animals!
    I really like your last line

And this is why it hurts so much when a furry family member passes

Sorry for your loss and it's okay to be so upset for a bit.
    "Y'all didn't have to shoot me" ~ Harambe

Thank you so much for your kind words! It really, really means a lot.

That picture looks almost exactly like my dog!

I woke up today and am feeling a bit better. Obviously, grief comes in waves. I have plenty to do to keep me busy and plenty to look forward to in life so I think I'll be okay.

I don't believe in Heaven or anything like that, but I know my dog is in a peaceful place where there is no pain.

Thank you again so much for your replies.

I am just seeing this.

I had to put my 14 year old cocker spaniel to sleep in september... it brought back all of the feelings of losing my mom and other family members.

It still is really hard! I hope you are doing better

Quote Originally Posted by Kabukicho View Post
    My dog died (she was 15 years old and the sweetest, gentlest, cutest Welsh Corgi) a few weeks ago while I was away at law school. I didn't cry at the time. Barely felt anything. I came home today for Spring Break and somehow something in me just snapped and I've been crying on and off all afternoon and evening. I just kept looking at the couch where she used to lie, at the spot under the kitchen table where she would sit and wait for food to be dropped. At the spot at the top of the stairs where she would wait until everyone in the family had finally come upstairs and gone to bed for the night. It just really hit me. I'm 26 years old and I've been through a lot of hardship and loss and STILL this is grief is unbelievable.
    I'm really sorry for your loss. I lost my 14yr beagle about 6 weeks ago. Absolutely broke my heart.

But the grieving process takes time. Give yourself that time, no one expects you to be all smiles and laughs.

I said in another thread that the degree to which we grieve is directly proportional to how much you love. You must have loved your corgi very much.

Hope your days get better with time.
    Cheers!
    Pam