Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Question Metoprolol & Celexa combination.. HELP!

Hello I'm new here and am hoping to be able to calm my panic with some positive feedback. My new Dr prescribed me Metoprolol extended release 25mg & Celexa 20mg and I've read online that there is moderae drug interactions between the two. I'm a 25yr old female and am prescribed the Metoprolol for high blood pressure & rapid racing heartbeat, I'm prescribed Celexa for panic attacks & depression, mostly for panic attacks as they have been occurring daily and a few times a day. I'm now freaking myself out about the drug interaction between the two! I started the Metoprolol 3 days ago, I take it at 12pm and was told to take the Celexa before bed but I have yet to start it yet because I'm so freaked out! Has anyone else taken this combination and have/had no problems? Please help! Is this a bad combination or not? My Dr and pharmacist say it's fine and to just monitor but I would love to hear from someone who has actually taken these two medicines together! Thank you in advance

Quote Originally Posted by kaybram
    Hello My new Dr prescribed me Metoprolol extended release 25mg & Celexa 20mg and I've read online that there is moderae drug interactions between the two.... My Dr and pharmacist say it's fine and to just monitor but I would love to hear from someone who has actually taken these two medicines together! Thank you in advance
    I saw the interaction that you mention, possibly resulting in a slight increase in the Metoprolol levels. But the starting dose of Metoprolol is 25 mg to 100 mg, gradually worked up to a Max of 400 mg. I couldn't believe it would be an issue for you, the interaction checker is not considering the dose. If it were an issue, your pulse would be slow. If you're running a resting pulse above 60, there shouldn't be any worry. Mine drops into the 50s at night, the doctors say that's still fine.

I take 5 different pills in the morning and 3 at night, you should see the interactions listed for me.

Check the pulse, if it's as I said, don't worry.
    Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?”