Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New medication

Would these medications work for general anxiety?
    I don't have situational anxiety, my issue is that I get the anxiety symptoms out of the blue and then can't shake them. I can just be sat at work, watching a film, reading a book, shopping, anything really & then these symptoms happen, or I'll have a full blown panic attack for no apparent reason. It's very frustrating.

I'm currently seeing a therapist & have added in a lot of foods to my diet that are meant to help anxiety. But as it's affecting my work, as it happens daily, work are asking me to try medication again to see if that makes a difference.

Yes,..the (2) mentioned are very helpful for "everything" anxiety dear

My Nephews wife takes Remeron, and she was an agoraphobic person, (doesnt leave the house, high anxiety) but she was at Christmas dinner, talking, socializing, like a real person...

I take Abilify, I can do anything now...anywhere, anytime,..and I have lived with anxiety for 46 yrs...doesn't phase me at all.

You have hope Temperance!

You too Karebear!

I have generalized anxiety disorder too....I totally understand the frustration of anxiety surfacing out of what appears to be nowhere! For many these various meds do work...I've been told by many doctors I am a rare sensitive case in terms of drug sensitivities. I have very low blood pressure, many allergies, and the lowest doses of these meds affect me highly with side effects. 6.25 mg knock me out. Please don't let my experience sway you to not give some new meds a shot....I do understand your frustration with meds though hang in there.

Thank you Chris if I can get through the withdrawals in the next year....I will be more hopeful as the only thing I haven't tried since 2001 is be off meds completely. Thought it would be worth a shot at this point.

Thank you for your replies. It means a lot that you took your time to answer my question.

I shall mention those medications to my GP & see if he would recommend either of them. Unfortunately, this year, my anxiety was so bad that I could not spend Christmas with my family or New Years with my friends. So hopefully next year will be different.

I hope we can all conquer this at some point & live normal lives! I so badly wish to feel normal again.

Eman told me to tell you to give abilify a chance - or another chance, or something like that. Eman crazy dawg!

If you're a young woman, and you like, or somewhat like your figure... Go nowhere near Remeron.

Otherwise, good luck and good day

Quote Originally Posted by jessed03 View Post
    Eman told me to tell you to give abilify a chance - or another chance, or something like that. Eman crazy dawg!

If you're a young woman, and you like, or somewhat like your figure... Go nowhere near Remeron.

Otherwise, good luck and good day
    Haha okay. Well, it all depends on what my GP says really. Or what they have at this doctors. They're not the best if I'm honest, but this guy seems to have his head screwed on more than the others that I've seen.

Ah the weight gain thing. Yeah, I don't want that. I'm pretty short, so if I put on weigh then I'd look spherical I imagine haha.

I could not take Abilify because of BP but maybe it could work in small doses. What people suppose to do when they try so many meds and nothing helps?

If I'm honest, I'd rather not have to take medication. I'm not a fan of it & I don't even like taking paracetamol, but it does help some people, so I'm having to give it another try.

I would much prefer to have something natural, so I'm going to discuss camomile tablets & other natural remedies to see if they could help as well as prescribed medication.

I'm going through therapy, waiting for CBT and have changed my diet, so there's many things to do. It's just very difficult when you see something work so well for someone & then it affects you completely differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahila View Post
    I could not take Abilify because of BP but maybe it could work in small doses. What people suppose to do when they try so many meds and nothing helps?
    Usually go for combos to offset the problem. Like Remeron makes you tired, and fat... But is a really good drug, so you take a little Effexor with it, so it wakes you up, and curbs appetite. Only... Most GPs don't have that training, so keep giving single meds which don't work for some. UK is the worst for that. I think we have about 3 psychiatrists on the whole of the NHS. almost impossible to see one.

Temp Bren, have you tried anything more natural? Different drugs hit different neurotransmitters and all that...

Edit: answered my question ^