Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Help panicked when i woke up

hope there is somebody still up,can anyone relate to me,i went to bed and after a few hrs woke up and bang my heart started racing and it wudnt slow down so i got up and i really got scared didnt know what to do,i opened the front door got my car keys then came back inside but it was a steady heartbeat but just fast but it took about 10 mins to slow down,i have lay on the couch but am shakin now in fear,was it a panic attack as such am really scared because this has happened a few times

It definitely anxiety!!!! Happens to me a lot waking up!!!! Just sit down, breathe, and tell yourself there is nothing wrong!!!! Because there isn't! You are ok.... I have the racing waking heart everytime I get up!!!! And I'm alive and ready to wake up again!!!! You will be fine! Merry Christmas!

yes it happens to me too! It will stop and you'll be fine hun..Merry Christmas to you both!

I was so scared but if my heart goes fast with anxiety i can calm it down but this when i woke up and it started racing i couldnt slow it down it was just going fast,i think i was more calmer than after it slowed down and then i started to shake inside because i was wondering why it happened and the anxiety is high now

when you alert think of how hard it is to control and upcoming panic attack, it takes all your focus to calm yourself yeah?

When people are asleep, senses are too, like did you ever wake in the middle of the night, sometimes you think when did i fall asleep?, or if really disorrientated, where am i ? it takes a few seconds for your mind to kick in.

so when you have a panic attack when you are sleeping, which could have been triggered by something that happened that day or a nightmare, anyway your mind is not fully alert so the panic attack tends to be more bad than normal as you have little or no chance to control it when you are not focussing with all your mind, hope that make sense.

I had them a few times but please dont worry it will happen again coz likely hood is it wont but with anxiety if you think it, it more likely happen. So my advice, try to take your mind off it and forget it if you can. Before you go to bed switch of TV, get a nice book or magazine (no scary/gory stories) and grab a nice cup of camomile tea or such and relax for 20 mins+ before you go to sleep, should help prevent further attacks, worked with me anyway

Sam
    You may take (play with) our thoughts but you will never take our FREEEEEDOM!!!

Did your heart race when u woke up but couldnt slow it down?it is so scary,and i know i have been here before with anxiety and panic,i am getting ectopics more often now with the anxiety

yup they are like the most hard panic attacks to calm down from, because they start when your body/ mind is not fully alert, its like a shock factor more than normal panic attacks, coz when the initial attack stops, your body is still in shock as its coping with trying to become alert from waking from sleep and also dealing with a high rush of adrenaline from the attack, they are really awful but try to do relaxing things before you sleep it will help.
    You may take (play with) our thoughts but you will never take our FREEEEEDOM!!!