Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Smile Prozac/Klonopin..... wondering what to expect?

My GP just recently prescribed me Klonopin and Prozac and I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with either of these drugs either on their own or in combination with one another that they could share with me?

I'm not currently taking the Klonopin on a daily basis, as I am quite sensitive to medications and my GP and I agreed that it would be best to used the Klonopin during Panic Attacks only, and to try and avoid using it on a regular basis. The problem is, I really like the Klonopin and want to use it once a day during the evenings when my mind starts racing with anxiety-ridden thoughts. Does anyone here take Klonopin on the daily? Is it difficult to quit Klonopin and is it true that it can cause brain damage? I'm only taking .5 mg.... practically nothing. Would it really hurt me to take it once a day? I'd also be interested to know if anyone has experienced heightened nervousness or anxiety on days when they don't take the drug.... will Klonopin punish me if I take it on just 4 days out of the week for example? I'd be interested to hear some feedback from anyone who's taken it.

As for the Prozac, I will actually begin taking it on Monday. Does anyone know if this is a difficult med to get off of? I'm really worried about becoming addicted or about experiencing withdrawal symptoms with medications because I've seen first hand what these medications can do to a person's brain chemistry when not appropriately prescribed and if this medication doesn't work for me I WILL attempt to wean myself off of it as soon as possible.

I'm also worried about alcohol with Klonopin/Prozac. I am young and I like to spend time out on the town with my friends when my anxiety allows me out of the house. It doesn't help that I live in Wisconsin where beer is served with every meal.... it is a valid concern for me that I won't be able to drink socially. Can I skip my Prozac for a day if I know we will be going out? I'm just frustrated that I will begin taking these meds to help me with social anxiety, and then I will be restricted from one of the number one social activities I participate in with my friends. Let me know if anyone has had any issues drinking socially on these meds.

Thanks guys, I appreciate any feedback I get back!

Hi! I can't help with the prozac, but I was recently prescribed klonopin. I was told to take .5mg twice a day for a month. I've been taking .25 only at night to sleep, but I do notice anxiety creeping back in about 18 hours after I take it. I hadn't really heard nor was I warned about brain damage from it...

As for drinking, I like (well, LIKED to go out with my friends before my recent anxiety hit), so I did a lot of reading about drinking and klonopin. The general consensus seems to be avoiding it, as you can frequently black out and "become a mess." Then again, it depends on the dosage, the person and the amount of alcohol I think. I wouldn't recommend it, but doing a simple search will provide you with a lot of information and personal accounts.

Cool, thanks for the helpful input robotcat! I'll keep researching these meds and bring up some of my other questions to my GP next time I see her.

Klonopin won't cause any harm unless it taken at a very high dose for a long time. Even then cognitive changes will disappear slowly when the drug is stopped but you are correct, .5mg will cause no "damage" as neither will 1 mg.
    As for prozac. It's easy to stop as it has a very long half life(the longest of the ssri's). I have used it since 1992 and swear it helps but you must take it for a while as with all AD's. If you are sensitive to meds a bet 10 mg daily of prozac would be best. I won't worry about prozac and alcohol so much but skip klonopin and alcohol. Just pay attention and see how it goes. I drink and really notice nothing with respect to the prozac but never mix my valium and alcohol as it would make me too sleepy and I simply don't need it then anyway.
    I hope you stay on 10mg of prozac for at least 2-3 full months to see how you benefit. That would be my sincere advise. If it doesn't help, drop it which should be fairly easy.
    Love the Northwoods of Wis for camping, fishing, etc. PM me anytime. Alankay

looking forward to your experience Omri with the Prozac, starting 10 mg this week