Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Amazing film and fantastic that your feeling so
    Much better

Wow that is amazing and kinda scary. Sums up how I feel when anxiety strikes

Nicely done!
    "Never, Never Never give up" - Winston Churchill

Feel free to visit my site, it has tons of free, helpful information which everyone can benefit from - http://sanguinely.com

"The moment you think you are beaten, you are, the moment you decide you will not be beaten, you are on the path to victory"

Thank you all! For your kind comments, in glad it accurately represents those feelings which are impossible to explain to anyone without the condition.

A quick update:
    I am doing much better in life in general. I have some bad days/moments but I never quite have an attack and can pull myself out of getting close more easily.
    Usually things set it off like being very tired, or sometimes after I eat my heart rate elevates to digest I suppose possibly the food I have just eaten is too high in sugars or etc which increases my heart rate and my anxiety is a dose of health anxiety for my heart but I have to just chill out and wait it out.
    Sometimes on the train I feel weird. And I even still have moments of instant depression where I think things like "what is the point of it all", "if rather just die right now". Very heavy thoughts but it's activated from completely random moments where I'm tired etc and I think if I have feelings like this then what is the point of living to better myself when all I get is this feeling of absolute chaos raging inside.
    Luckily this feeling is only ever temporary and it does go away and doesn't send me Into total crippled state of mind.
    I'm still on 5mg of citalopram, if these feelings do continue to arise now and then I will consult doc about getting something extra to take during those periods but I feel like the 5mg has done a lot for me so far and it's supposed to get increasingly better up to 3 months or so, so progress could still be ongoing.

I go to the gym 3x a week again which makes me very happy and I try and eat well. General life changes into positivity helps a lot with anxiety as I have previously mentioned probably.
    Releasing endorphins through exercise is helpful to stabilising natural tandem in the mind. It's very important and I advise it to everyone with the condition.

I'm in my final term of uni so there's a lot to do and I work part time as well but keeping busy keeps my mind busy, but in the same way doing too much can stress my mind out and send me into a poor state.
    I look forward to finishing uni and finding a job where i only have to concentrate my efforts Into that one output. Having work to do when you're at home is stressful, it's always in your mind that you have something to get done, it doesn't help.

If anyone has questions I will answer based on my experiences. I love you all individually and as a whole, I'm here to help as I am a relative success story of overcoming anxiety through sheer force and will and determination which is very important to overcome it, like quitting smoking etc it takes will power but you have to WANT to overcome/get better. Sometimes we don't even have that privilege because the anxiety monster has taken over in the noggin', it's a war with it. I also call it the anxiety gremlin, it sucks away at positivity and leaves behind sadness, identifying it is important to then battle it.

Hi I'm so pleased to hear of your progress! I have only been on this forum a short amount of time but your story interested me as I have just started on citalopram. My main issues are physical digestive pain. I started taking the meds two days ago 5mg at nighttime. Felt ok yesterday but had a bit of nausea first thing but that went pretty quickly, today I have felt awful!! Nausea all day just like morning sickness and random stomach pains.

I'm tempted to go to the chemist and get those meds the dr have you ( think they do them OTC at boots) but do you think I should consult my dr first? I've got a two year old to run around after all day so probably won't be able to get to Drs till next week n can't cope till then! I'm tempted to stop taking the citalopram as I just can't be in this way physically and keep all happy and smiley for my boy.
    I was planning on upping my dose to 10mg but at this rate don't feel like I can be on it at all! God I hope it gets better. My health anxiety tells me that it's poisoning me and I should stop! Really fighting with myself today!

Quote Originally Posted by Max mar View Post
    Hi I'm so pleased to hear of your progress! I have only been on this forum a short amount of time but your story interested me as I have just started on citalopram. My main issues are physical digestive pain. I started taking the meds two days ago 5mg at nighttime. Felt ok yesterday but had a bit of nausea first thing but that went pretty quickly, today I have felt awful!! Nausea all day just like morning sickness and random stomach pains. I'm tempted to go to the chemist and get those meds the dr have you ( think they do them OTC at boots) but do you think I should consult my dr first? I've got a two year old to run around after all day so probably won't be able to get to Drs till next week n can't cope till then! I'm tempted to stop taking the citalopram as I just can't be in this way physically and keep all happy and smiley for my boy. I was planning on upping my dose to 10mg but at this rate don't feel like I can be on it at all! God I hope it gets better. My health anxiety tells me that it's poisoning me and I should stop! Really fighting with myself today!
    Hey there this is very similar to me so I will be as concise as possible for you here.
    Once you've started on citalopram, you need to stay with it, it will take up to a week of some horrible feelings if you read my first post you will see although no need to worry yourself just know that it takes time for it to get into your system and for your body to begin to accept these new chemicals.
    I had nausea massively after my initial heightened anxiety when starting on citalopram, after a visit to the doctor I was prescribed prochlorperazine, think it was 3 tablets a day for two weeks. This helped settle my nausea and it brought my appetite back by the end of the course, there are other names for this I believe you can get counter variations but would always recommend going to the docs and getting advice perhaps me toon prochlorperazine and see what they say. If I were you I would ring the doctors office to see what options are available to you if you can't quite get in to there, they may even visit you or prescribe over the telephone after a chat with the doctor. It's important you keep on it and get help when you need it rather than waiting.

Now, your health anxieties kicking up is normal because the citalopram activates a heightened anxiety state, I was the same as you and after just my first pill I felt like I was not going to touch it ever again. But I persevered.. And I'm glad I did is all I can say. The anxiety gremlin is trying to take over and tell you not to bother but you can't let it, I assure you.

Do not up your dose without the advice of your doctor, some people have done it but I don't recommend it particularly not so quickly start on the 5mg and when your body gets used to it them consider it IF you NEED to with the consult of your doctor.

I completely understand your situation there, I really do, please do what you can to reduce the 'workload' for yourself whilst you are in the early stages of the medication, support from your family looking after your child etc might be needed here. I personally stayed in bed for 3 days straight and barely eat anything as it was the only way I could cope with the levels of anxiety in the early stages of the drug, I came out the other end and made quick progress from then.

PLEASE stay on the citalopram no matter what now, you've started it and it you drop off it and on it won't take effect properly and will just make you feel crap every time you do take it, it's a long term drug not for a "fix me now".

Please feel free to message me for support I will do my best to help you!

Love and support -j

Quote Originally Posted by frankiecfc View Post
    I can't express how happy this makes me feel. Long may your state of mind continue.
    Aw I'm glad Frankie
    And yours whatever state you are at, health and happiness !

Thank you both for your kind words! Still feeling awful with the nausea tonight, just took the citalopram again so trying to stick to it! I just pray I don't feel even worse tomorrow. Is it possible to just wake up one day and the nausea/ stomach issues to be gone?!
    I went to the chemist and discussed the med for nausea and he said he wouldn't recommend it unless I spoke to my dr so didn't get any.
    He tried to reassure me that the side effects should subside in 3 weeks bit also said an interesting thing which I thought I'd ask you guys about.
    I asked if it was. Good sign that I had side effects and he said that if my body is that lacking in the chemicals then it would be a larger shock to my system so it's a good sign that I am essentially deficient and will benefit greatly from citalopram.

Any views on this? One of my health anxiety issues is not thinking anything will work for me or that I've not got anxiety/ depression and that I have an actual physical illness!

If having more side effects meant the more I need the drugs it would make me feel more confident in my decision.
    Forgive me for going on, having a racing mind day!!

Quote Originally Posted by Max mar View Post
    Thank you both for your kind words! Still feeling awful with the nausea tonight, just took the citalopram again so trying to stick to it! I just pray I don't feel even worse tomorrow. Is it possible to just wake up one day and the nausea/ stomach issues to be gone?!
    I went to the chemist and discussed the med for nausea and he said he wouldn't recommend it unless I spoke to my dr so didn't get any.
    He tried to reassure me that the side effects should subside in 3 weeks bit also said an interesting thing which I thought I'd ask you guys about.
    I asked if it was. Good sign that I had side effects and he said that if my body is that lacking in the chemicals then it would be a larger shock to my system so it's a good sign that I am essentially deficient and will benefit greatly from citalopram.

Any views on this? One of my health anxiety issues is not thinking anything will work for me or that I've not got anxiety/ depression and that I have an actual physical illness!

If having more side effects meant the more I need the drugs it would make me feel more confident in my decision.
    Forgive me for going on, having a racing mind day!!
    I'm glad the chemist advised you that, your doc will prescribe you something for it though as soon as you can see/visit them, the sooner the better for your sanity.
    Yes for me the side effects were mostly gone within the first few weeks, which for me were burning skin sensation, nausea, sleep deprivation/insomnia, no appetite, headaches/migraines.
    You have only just started on the medication, and you are right now in a heightened anxiety state just as I was. My doc advised me it would happen so I prepared for it. Yes the chemicals that your brain/body lacks are being put there because the body is not producing them naturally and its a shock to the system even at the small dosage of 5mg.
    When the body gets used to it, everything starts to improve. And I mean everything, all the side effects (typically) begin to fade away by the end of week two, I was only left with nausea which the prochlorperazine helped solve within another 1 or 2 weeks. I did have some trouble sleeping still, and was prescribed a sleeping pill which isn't supposed to be addictive etc, the doc said take it when you need to.
    I took 1 on one night and the next day I felt TERRIBLE, so I decided I wasn't taking those anymore and eventually my insomnia pushed away, and now I honestly sleep better than I ever have. I have had periods of my life when I have had excellent sleep that lasted for a few months, most likely at the time I was in a blissful state of happiness without worries, but most of my ENTIRE life I have been a bad sleeper, never quite being able to drift off.
    Now? If I want to sleep I just close my eyes and it takes minutes on a good night, whereas it used to take hours.

I'm not just saying it to settle your mind: The side effects are there because your body doesn't know what the hell to do with the chemicals it now has to process, it's almost panic because it is not used to it so yes I believe you are extremely deprived of this necessary chemical which controls our brains ability to deal with anxiety and depression.
    You don't have a physical illness, believe me I spent years sure that I had a heart condition/chest problem/etc and it turns out all it was was anxiety producing chest pains from sheer stress. Anxiety CAN produce physical pain, but it doesn't make it any less a MENTAL condition/illness/disorder.

Any further advice needed my friend go ahead. But know this, if you STICK with the meds, you WILL get better. It will just take time, but you must must must give it that time to take effect, life is going to be rough for the next couple weeks but stay strong and just vent it out here with us when you need to, in my early stages this forum made everything so much better for me to be able to talk it through with people who knew exactly what I was feeling. I was helped then, now I will help you

jkb thank god for you tonight!! I really mean that, thank you.
    You're right about the health anxiety, although I have felt depressed my anxiety is mostly digestive issues (along with a lot of other things) but I've not had a day without stomach pain for nearly 3 years. Had all the usual tests all ok. I noticed when I had a few days away with my husband without my toddler I felt so much better physical and then when we could home literally when we were driving up the road my stomach pains started again so I realised it could be anxiety.

You really have given me the motivation to carry on with this.. Thank you!

I'll get in touch with Drs tomorrow and discuss the nausea meds. Do you mind if I keep bugging you over the next few days?!