Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Experience with depersonalization / derealization?

I've been experiencing depersonalization & derealization for almost 2 months now. I've upped my Zoloft dosage twice (with my doctor's supervision, of course), and I've now been on 100mg for close to about 3 weeks. It does seem to have helped a bit both times I've upped the dose, but it never fully leaves. Everything just seems so... unreal... like I'm just imagining my life, and it's just a dream I'm having.

MY QUESTION IS, to anyone who has ever experienced depersonalization or derealization, what is your story? What helped it, and how long did it take? Feel free to tell your full experience with it! And I hope you all have happy holidays! Thanks for all answers!
    "Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'"

Hi Butterfly,

I'm not sure I'll be much help, but I did experience this when my anxiety first hit, about twelve years ago. It felt like someone else was living my life, and I was just watching, or it was a dream. I started on meds and it eventually went away. I'm sorry to hear you are having such a rough time with it : (

I also experienced this when my anxiety 1st came and it was constant like everyday for like a month. Eventually it started to go think its because i stopped paying attention to it

Quote Originally Posted by butterflybandage

MY QUESTION IS, to anyone who has ever experienced depersonalization or derealization, what is your story? What helped it, and how long did it take?
    Mine just appears, I'd say derealization more then depersonalization, haunts me for weeks to a month or so, then just disappears. Every time I'm convinced it's permanent, every time I'm frustrated, and every time I fail to notice when it's gone. Weird.

I do nothing to get rid of it but I have noticed a pattern of physical symptoms that alternate with psychological symptoms, so I suspect that distraction plays a part. Now my heart rhythm is acting up, (it's been doing this one and off for 40 years), so I pay attention to that. I've also other problems, just not physical and psychological together.

Interesting.
    Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?”