Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: Lustral!

Unhappy Lustral!

Hi,
    would love advice about Lustral..

I'm 21 and ever since I can remember I've suffered from anxiety related issues. I remember being very young, maybe 10, and suffering from OCD. To start with this didn't cause many problems, I was still able to live life and I wasn't really prevented from doing anything. In my later teenage years, the OCD began to calm down and instead it was replaced with what I think is GAD related issues.. I began not going to school as I would suffer from anxiety attacks daily, especially during classes. This grew worse and worse throughout sixthform and into my first 2 years of University. I am now in my third year and am really stuggling to cope. I suffer daily from anxiety, I don't feel I am worrying about anything specifically but it can and does effect me at random points throughout the day. I'm now unable to go shopping, to a restraunt etc without the feelings of derealization, shaking, panic etc. Recently on holiday I experienced what I think was a three day anxiety attack. I was unable to get out of bed, was hysterical and was convinced I was dying.

I'm really scared about how much this is growing and how much its effecting my life. I can't remember a day now when I haven't had all these feelings, and I'm really scared first of all why this is happening. I don't feel as if I'm worrying about anything, or have anything to worry about, so why is this happening to me? Its effecting my relationship, my friendships, my work and my social life. I don't feel like me any more, I don't feel like a person any more. I've began to really doubt my future, as I can't see any of this getting better. I just feel I'm never going to be able to actually live life. Its making me really down and its scaring me about what I could do to myself.

When I was younger on three separate occasions I went through different CBT counselling. These did not help very much at all. I am trying to sort out going through them again, because I really am getting desperate. However, the waiting list is very long, and with me being at my final year in university I don't know where I will be come July, so I don't think NHS based counselling with the waiting time is going to work for me. I've been offered a few slots with my university soon, but I still don't see this as being effective for me. I guess I know that I'm going to go there with a state of mind that thinks it wont benefit me at all (always been very sceptical of counselling), but I don't know how I can stop myself thinking this.

After joining a new GP, I went and spoke about options again- was told the waiting list for counselling was too high and I would be better off taking Lustral in the mean time. I still really don't know whether I should. From reading stories about the initial side effects I am really scared and don't think I'm going to be able to do it. I don't mind side effects such as being sick, its the heightened anxiety and depression that scare me. I really don't think I'd be able to cope with this at all. I couldn't imagine anything that's worse than what it is now. That in addition to the other side effects I've read about such as insomnia and night sweats for example, I know I would freak out about why this was happening regardless of if I truly knew it was because of the meds (I suffer a lot from health anxiety). I've read the nausea and stuff can last about 2 weeks but the other things can last for a lot longer, and its a lot longer before anxiety dies down.

If anyone could help me I'd like to know whether Lustral side effects really are as bad as I've read? Mainly the anxiety side of it. An if there is any benefit to taking it at all? Does it make anxiety a lot better? Or does it have a minimal effect?

Thanks and sorry for this big self pitty rant!

mgw

Zoloft(Lustral) is the most common AD here in the States. Not everyone gets all the side effects you list. Most get maybe one or two that fade away. I would start it at 25 mgs for a week or two then go to 50 mgs(or step to 50mgs on the way to the dose the doc rx'd). This will help lessen any side effects you get. Give it 8 weeks to fully work before deciding to stay with it or not.
    If CBT didn't help that much conventional psychotherapy might be helpful to see if a cause can be found for you anxiety and addressing that or getting it "out in the open" so to speak. We often repress experiences that are bothering us.
    You are not ranting out of any self pity but having bad anxiety. Don't minimize you suffering. We understand here. Alankay

Hi Alankay,

Thanks so much for your reply, really do appreciate it.

Do you have any idea of how long side effects on Lustral could last? I'm mostly concerned about heightened anxiety- I know this is different for everybody but is there an average idea?

Also I have just spoken to someone who suggested Pregablin? I have not heard of this so was wondering if you knew anything about it?

Many thanks, Marianne