Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I have felt so much better than I ever felt on meds since I finished my cbt group and got off my meds. I am still countering my thoughts in tea forms and they do a good job of keeping me on an even keel and I feel like I am continuing to grow and feel even less anxious.

Good job Tmays and welcome to these boards.

Good to see you Beach and nice post Tmays. We need more people posting about the benefits of non-pharm treatments. I hate how the pharm industry controls the message to many patients (including mines) detriment.

Quote Originally Posted by squirt
    Sometimes you need medicine. I would try and stay away from the benzo class of meds if possible (yes xanax is a benzo) and stick with the anti-depressants if you have to take meds. The main problem with drug therapy is that too many people are doing it alone and expect it to cure the problem. .
    As someone who initially swallowed the doctors "you will need meds to get into a place where you are ready for therapy" line, I would have to respectfully disagree.

There is no science behind anti depressants. They are based on a theoretical idea put forth by psychiatrists. Clinical trials are not conducted to rate the effectiveness of their use over long period of time, in fact, research by some psychiatrists have found that long term the effects of anti depressants are negligible. Prompting the psychiatrists involved in the research to conclude that at best, the anti depressants work via the placebo effect.

Now, on the other hand, if doctors still learned about nutrition in college the answers would become more apparent. (what was that in the Hippocratic Oath about letting food be thy medicine??)
    We all know that we need vitamins and minerals. But most of our knowledge about nutrition is incredibly limited, I know until I actually studied nutrition I had no interest in it, and most of what I knew I knew from magazines and tv-and most of it was just media hype based around promotions as opposed to actual research..(and quite confusing to boot)

Thing is, being low on some vitamins/minerals, or having imbalances, or many other things can cause your brain to act up a bit, make you feel like youre losing it. Modern medicine is obsessed with treating the symptoms and not the cause and then we end up even more ill with side effects than we were to start with, taking more and more drugs to cope..

Now say for example, like me, you just needed more B vitamins and to watch your blood sugar, would it not make more sense to address the issues with the food (seeing as Im going to be eating anyway-I would die if I didnt..) before I start taking drugs that even the people pushing them arent sure how they work..

I would strongly advise that anyone serious about getting better see a qualified Nutritional Therapist, not a dietician, or nutritionist, but someone who actually uses food as medicine. You have nothing to lose (except maybe any excess weight). The only side effects are better health, more energy and better quality of life..

Having said that, nutrition is not the magical be all cure-exercise and therapy (whether it be creative therapies, complementary therapies, groups, counselling etc) are equally important.. Its about treating your whole being, not just one aspect..
    "I got myself a new mantra, it says, 'dont forget to have a good time'..Dont let the sellers of stuff, power enough to rob you of your grace, love is all over the place - theres nothing wrong with your face" Ani DiFranco

I think the more non med treatments you try the more likely you will find something that helps you.

Hi

As a newcomer to this forum and a sufferer from anxiety, I'm really confused over this medication issue.

I keep reading about users of certain drugs e.g. citalopram and trazodone as well as prozac and I'm getting more and more confused.!

Can anyone advise a safe and uncomplicated rouite please ?

Hi Tula, Welcome to the forum..

Not quite sure what you mean by the uncomplicated route? Are you asking about medication or alternative/complementary methods? Or are you just lost at sea in all these drug names etc?
    You will find all sorts here, people who are pro medication as well as people who are against. But the main thing that you need to remember is that we are all individuals, and as such, we all hold the key to resolving our own issues. Its about trying a few things out and seeing what works for YOU.

There is a forum dedicated to medication here if you need advice about a drug, and as I mentioned above a trip to a nutritional therapist would certainly not go a miss as many mental issues stem from underlying dietary problems, if this is what lies at the root of your problem then attacking this cause will naturally alleviate your symptoms.
    On the other hand if your problems are related to events or traumas then you may need some counselling as well as the support you get here.

Above all else, keep your wits about you, and dont expect a quick fix. Allow yourself however long it took you to get sick to get better. Quick fixes will never be a permanent solution, and if anything deserves to have time spent on it, its your health.

The best of luck to you in finding YOUR solution.

Giz
    "I got myself a new mantra, it says, 'dont forget to have a good time'..Dont let the sellers of stuff, power enough to rob you of your grace, love is all over the place - theres nothing wrong with your face" Ani DiFranco

Quote Originally Posted by Giz
    Allow yourself however long it took you to get sick to get better.
    Allow yourself LONGER than it took you to get sick to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by TULA
    Hi

As a newcomer to this forum and a sufferer from anxiety, I'm really confused over this medication issue.

I keep reading about users of certain drugs e.g. citalopram and trazodone as well as prozac and I'm getting more and more confused.!

Can anyone advise a safe and uncomplicated rouite please ?

Well taking medicines is a temporary solution but doesn't heal the root cause of anxiety ,which recurs once we stop medication.

There are different medicines and ways to treat anxiety.But i have always been an admirer of Natural treatments that are safe and have no side effects thats how i got rid of my anxiety problem after bearing it for long.
    Find Out How I Cured my Panic and Anxiety Disorder Naturally:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for all the replies. Tula definitely give cbt a try. My group helped me a lot and I am still using the TEA forms and feeling better and getting rid of more thinking patterns that were causing my problems/anxiety.