Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by trackstar
    Consider joining a cbt group. I just finished one and it will teach you skills to help you manage your anxiety and it only takes 16-weeks.
    Meds suck!
    Just remember that you have to try the right kind of CBT. Most CBT out there uses TEA forms. And although this form of CB T is good for worriers, it is not so good for people who are not really worriers, but are simply experiencing anxiety as a result of chronic/acute stress. TEA forms can cause REAL problems when experiencing free-floating anxiety - a common symptom of those whose problem is more the result of stress than worry.

The more non-med things you try the better imo. Robbed is right that TEA forms are especially effective for worriers and I have a hard time seeing a downside with them because they work great for most people, but I'm just me so I can't say how they affect others, but everyone I know who has used the TEA form method of CBT has received measurable relief. If they don't work for you, you can simply stop them and try something else. They say this type of CBT is over 85% effective in treating anxiety disorders so the risk reward ratio does not get much better than that and certainly beats meds risk reward ratio. Food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by Beachgirl
    The more non-med things you try the better imo. Robbed is right that TEA forms are especially effective for worriers and I have a hard time seeing a downside with them because they work great for most people, but I'm just me so I can't say how they affect others, but everyone I know who has used the TEA form method of CBT has received measurable relief. If they don't work for you, you can simply stop them and try something else. They say this type of CBT is over 85% effective in treating anxiety disorders so the risk reward ratio does not get much better than that and certainly beats meds risk reward ratio. Food for thought
    My problem with TEA forms is that they can make you try to figure out that which cannot be figured out. And this is a BIG problem when it comes to anxiety. As you probably know, trying to figure out anxiety and 'find a way out' causes LOTS of stress, which leads to more anxiety. Overanalysis often IS the problem. As Claire Weekes says, it is best to just 'give up the fight'. Unless you really KNOW that you are having unhealthy thoughts, I found it is best to keep the TEA forms away.

I agree that overanalyzing things is a huge trap and needs to be avoided! I would say if you do not make any of the common thinking errors that cause most anxiety there is no need for the TEA form exercise. However, if you do I think you need to deal with them and fix those thoughts just like you would deal with any fixable problem you have and they work great for getting rid of inaccurate thoughts that cause anxiety.
    In essence what the TEA form does is help you retrain your brain to learn to live in the present and since most anxiety is about what happens next or in the future if you can get out of your head and back into living your life the anxiety disappears.

I think you need to give up the fight and counter your thoughts in a TEA form for a good two pronged approach. Fighting the anxiety is always a bad idea!

The TEA forms have helped me a great deal fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by squirt
    I think you need to give up the fight and counter your thoughts in a TEA form for a good two pronged approach. Fighting the anxiety is always a bad idea!
    Then again, the way I see things, TEA forms are fighting, and NOT accepting.

Point taken but I would say they are accepting and then taking steps to deal with.... Robbed, did you see the post I wanted to make a sticky? How do threads become stick posts?

Thanks.

Hey Robbed I hope your life is going well. I miss our exchanges on here. Hope 2009 is a great year for you and sorry I have not been posting much, busy, busy, busy these days and a bit self-indulgent lately but what's a girl to do :tongue:

Quote Originally Posted by Beachgirl
    Point taken but I would say they are accepting and then taking steps to deal with....
    Thanks.
    I would have to agree with you. I like that they acknowledge the errors and then correct them.