Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Bad reaction to Lexapro?

I went to my psych after a few weeks of severe anxiety, intrusive doomed thought patterns, insomnia and low (zero) appetite. He prescribed lexapro 10 mg once a day. I am now on day 6 and I think I am having a bad reaction. It feels like a bad acid trip, like I am burning from the inside. My hands shake and I have a feeling like I am out of my body. The anxiety is non-stop 24/7, MUCH worse than before the medication. Like a non-stop panic attack. My gums are bleeding and pale. My eyes are hugely dilated. All of this could be from lack of nutrition too - I haven't had more than 500 calories a day for weeks.

Funny thing - on day 2 and day 4 of starting this Lexapro, I felt ok, almost like I could feel it working. And seemed similar to what I remember feeling when other SSRIs kicked in (I have been on Paxil and Wellburtin, separately, each several years ago). However - the days inbetween - day 3 and now day 6 - have been a living hell, each one worse than the last. I thought I would have to go to the ER today. I feel like I have been poisoned. I want to stop taking it but I am terrified of having even more of a serotonin crash...

Call your doctor right away! I had a similar reaction to Zoloft. I went off it, but still went to the hospital for 5 days. I just started lexapro (2.5 years after the zoloft incident) and I started at drops until I got up to 10 mg, it took 6 weeks for me to get that high. I did have the burning though. Almost painful, with full on panic, once I'd hit certain levels. My mom says that's what a hot flash feels like. I hated it. I don't have any real symptoms now. I'd be concerned about the food and gums. I'm thinking you might do well to hit the ER and have them get things calmed down if you can't get to your doctor. At the ER they immediately gave me ativan in a shot and I slept for like three days!

Thank you, atcmom. I called my doc and he told me to stop the Lexapro right away. He then gave me Klonopin which seems to be working. I am finding myself extremely pissed off that I have never been offered a benzo before, in all of my ordeals. I took the Klonopin for two days in a row and it is quite wonderful and the effect is subtle. Does not make me drowsy at all. I didn't even need it today and am feeling about 75% back to normal. I plan to take it sparingly, and only for acute cases or planned stressful situations (upcoming holidays, for example!). If I end up back in a downward spiral in the future despite Klonopin, I will consider taking an SSRI again... but with great caution!

Your doc was right to try an ssri first. Some will try 2 before going to a benzo but I'm glad you doing better now. Alankay