Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Disassociation, a brief story and some advice

Hey all, I'm new here and have been dealing with a very strange anxiety related issue that is very difficult to explain to somebody who does not (or has not) experienced it. I'm assuming at least half of you have heard of it, but for those who haven't, I'll give a brief description. We all know what "reality" is, it's just a normal state of mind that everybody feels. People with chronic disassociation are basically on a bad trip 24/7. We have lost our sense of selves, and are disconnected from our emotions. The world feels dreamlike and unreal. I could go on and on for hours but I'll spare myself and everyone reading this :P.

Mine started at around the age of 14 (I'm 18 now) from the awkward stages that all 14 year old's go through, over analyzing, existential thinking, and ultimately weed. To make a long story short, it has fucked with every aspect of my life and put me in a weird position. On to the advice part, I guess. I'm really in no position to give advice (seeing as I don't follow through with it myself), but I can tell from experience what helps. It's probably been thrown around here and many different places a billion times by now, but it seriously cannot be said enough.

Recovery takes effort, it just does. Speaking for myself, I have been sitting around being lazy,making excuses, saying "oh I'll be alright one day, I'll just feel 100 percent better and things will fall into place."
    WRONG! It is going to be a long hard road most likely, so you have to find the line between being to hard on yourself and being to soft on yourself. Break away from addictions and bad habits, whatever they may be. Personally, my internet addiction has been out of control for a while, also junk food. Whatever yours is, you need to focus on breaking it and being healthy. Avoid intrusive thoughts the best that you can (not by fighting them in your head) but by distracting yourself from them. Watch a movie, hang out with a friend, go for a run/ walk.

Fake it until you make it. If acting genuine, socializing with people, or any task in life seems difficult, don't just fold back and sit on the couch and say you'll do it tomorrow. It sounds funny, but once your able to force yourself out of the door so to speak, it's a lot easier than you had thought in your head prior to it. Of course there's going to be bumps in the road etc, but EVERYONE has them, I don't care if you're "normal" or a little mentally messed up like us.

From personal experience and a lot of other's stories they have shared with me, it seems as though a lot of our current problems can be attributed to underlying issues. Childhood, detrimental relationships, subliminal experiences, etc etc. Too often I wanted to believe something in my head was wrong, like a chemical out of place. The more you ruminate on things etc the bigger your hole is going to be. The more you avoid people and isolate yourself, the worse off you're going to be. This problem sucks no doubt about it, but just believe in yourself and say fuck it. As cliche as it sounds, life honestly is too short. Thanks for reading (inb4 TL;DR), and I'm looking forward to making some cool friends on here. See ya around!

Hi DarkShit! Welcome to the site! Yes, it's definitely easier to give advice than follow it ourselves. I'm very guilty of that. But I think that each time we write out those words of wisdom, they do become a little more engrained in us and so, hopefully, it means we're getting closer to actually doing those things ourselves. Because, as you say, we all basically do know what we need to do to help ourselves. And, ultimately, it really does come down to just doing it. Good luck to you!
    Remember, you only live once. That's why it's so important to spend at least 15 hours a day on the internet seeking validation from total strangers - Chris Rock

(Check!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    )

Quote Originally Posted by tailspin View Post
    Hi DarkShit! Welcome to the site! Yes, it's definitely easier to give advice than follow it ourselves. I'm very guilty of that. But I think that each time we write out those words of wisdom, they do become a little more engrained in us and so, hopefully, it means we're getting closer to actually doing those things ourselves. Because, as you say, we all basically do know what we need to do to help ourselves. And, ultimately, it really does come down to just doing it. Good luck to you!
    Hey thanks alot for the warm welcome, I 2nd everything you said. Stay strong <3

Excellent. Welcome to the forum!

"Recovery takes effort, it just does." I think mostly over the last year, I was either confused about or in denial that I had some degree of--at least influence--over what I was experiencing. Totally agree with that statement.

Recover soon (enough)!