Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When will the lexapro work?

I have fought anxiety for many years now. After a bad experience with Zoloft (md prescribed too high a dose) I've fought all other meds. I've done Klonopin and counseling, acupuncture, journaling, etc... But have had too many highs and lows. Last summer I thought I was 'healed' but Oct of 2012 all my symptoms came back. I have a general feeling of anxiety at all times and now don't want to go out in public for fear of a panic attack. This is very difficult with three kids! I also want to have a 'normal' life again. I used to do all things without too many problems before I had a major panic attack in Target. I have finally decided to go on lexapro. BC of my fear the doctor put me on a drop a day and let me build up to 5 mg. It took almost a month to do this. I've been at 5 for over a week with no help so he told me to raise it to 10 (at my own comfort level). I just got to 7 today. I know after 6 weeks I should feel the effects, but b/c I didn't even hit 5 until a week and a half ago I'm assuming that's why I haven't seen anything? My goal is to hit 10 by this weekend. Instead through all of this my anxiety has increased (according to the doc b/c I'm scared, not the medicine doing it) Otherwise my side effects are all symptoms I've had from my normal anxiety (upset stomach, dizziness, trouble concentrating, trouble driving, etc....) I have had a burning skin sensation and trouble staying asleep (doc says caused by meds but will go away)

I am not taking Lexapro, but just started on Wellbutrin a few weeks ago. My anxiety is DEFINITELY worse, but it's gotten better week-by-week. I am trying to give it a full month at this dose before I make a choice on whether it's working or not. I have all my normal anxiety symptoms right now... maybe a few extras. But I want to get better, so I'm going to give it a really good try! Just wanted to let you know I'm in a similar boat! Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks for the encouragement. I keep thinking I can't make it one more week, this sucks! At least I'm not a basket case like the first week. I did actually walk in a store today too. Didn't buy anything, but did go in. Also took the dog for a walk down the road. Both big things right now. I am trying to keep a journal so I can actually 'see' the change as opposed to the catastrophic thinking. The "it's sooo bad, it's not getting better, etc...."

See? You are definitely making progress. I didn't want to crawl the frigging walls today, so I consider that a win! Just think, if you can hang in there, maybe the next week will be better than this week, and so on. If you make it a month, or even 6 weeks (which some say is the magic number), then you will have given it a true trial, and you'll know for sure how you feel about the med. Just try reminding yourself "this week is better than last week... this is better than last week" instead of the negative. While you are still increasing the dose, I'd imagine your body is still adjusting. I'm here with ya!

I'm on lexapro too almost a year now. I started at 10mg it helped but I wasn't where I wanted to be. I went to 15mg for about 6 months now I'm weaning myself off and am at 5 mg I'm feeling better and want to try it without meds. It made a world of difference for met just takes time.

Will I notice changes slowly? I just keep hoping to wake up feeling like my 'old self' then get frustrated when that doesn't happen.

You should just find yourself thinking about the anxiety less and yes it happens slowly but does happen

Thanks. I was so upset this morning when I woke up and didn't 'feel better'. I'm glad for the support. I just hit 10 mg today. I was on 5 for a week then slowly upped it over the course of a week. I see the psych again this week to go over how things are working.

Hey interesting post atcmom... I've just started SSRI meds and it's not been a full week yet my anxiety is much worse than before. From what I've read that's a good sign that the drug is working. It'll be a few more weeks before any improvement so it's important not to give up. By far the worst symptom is burning skin (legs and hands for me). What about you ?

Good luck.

I know I'm a bit different, since I started almost 6 weeks ago, but it took me that long to finally get to the 10 mg. I now know I need to wait a couple of weeks at the ten to see changes. I do burn though. Mine is all over. It comes and goes, but for the most part is gone. It was worse early on when I started to hit a couple mgs. The only real side effect I have now is lack of sleep. I do have my normal anxiety issues though, upset tummy, loss of appetite, etc... but those can't be attributed to the meds.