Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Upping dose of Lexapro increases benefits?

Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I've suffered with chronic anxiety my entire life, and have lived with agoraphobia for about five years now. I have lost most of my teen years to the anxiety, and the depression, and am suspected bipolar, or psychotic depressive. Most definitely chronic depressive, although I really feel like so much of it is stress and hating my life. But then by the same token, I sometimes remember how I used to feel about my day and I see that the way I feel now is 1000% worse.

I refused meds for a very long time but was ultimately forced by my father and GP to take Lexapro, about 7 weeks ago. I'm on 10mgs.

I am really happy that I took them, they have really taken off the edge and I find myself *wanting* to be free of the anxiety, truly wanting, for the first time in years. I am much less vindictive and cruel, and so much more stable. The only downside I guess is that I'm addicted to diet coke as in the early days I needed a kick to stay awake, and I'm unable to orgasm. This is OK with me.

I will talk to my GP about it, I'll have to ring him or get someone else to do it for me - baby steps - but do you think that upping the dose increases the benefits? If I upped it by 5 or 10mg, do you think I'd find myself having even less anxiety?

Inanna

I'm currently taking 25mgs daily, and I've noticed a difference from when I was only taking 10mgs. The thing is, it takes about 2 weeks to fully kick in when you up your dosage on SRI's (anti-depressants). So, after you've upped your dosage... you'll have already made 2 more weeks worh of progress than from back when you wanted them upped.

But yes, it helped me

imported_admin
    After about a year on 10MG of Lexapro (for anxiety), I found that is was becoming less affective. My GP upped the dose to 20MG...I took this for a month but it didnt really help. He has no put me onto Zoloft. I guess these meds work differently for different people...but lexapro has been a life saver for me.

Im currently on lexapro but only 2.5 mg and only on day 11 of taking it. For some reason I am really sensitive to the stuff and get wicked side effects. I hope they diminish soon because my pdoc wants me to increase the dose to 5mg and then go from there. Will I experience a period of side effects all over again once I increase? Anyways sorry for the hijack. I would definitley bring this up to your doctor and I wish you the best. Im glad to hear things are looking up for you!