Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My story, advice appreciated!

Hey guys i usually post in the anxiety panic thread or the health one because typically im freaking out in the moment but figure thats counter productive. If you are willing to read this thread I would greatly appreciate any advice or input on my situation or reading any similar situations so I dont feel so alone about it. I am a 24year old female.

Anyway, It really hit me out of the blue. About 2 1/2 months ago a week or two before I moved to a new apt. and my boyfriend of now 2years moved 2 1/2 hours away. I had a dull achy pain under my right breast. First few days I didnt stress about it but it got constantly worse where finally I went to a walk in. In my mind I thought it was Costochondritus after reading up about it. He didnt realy reassure me about anything he did a xray and said everything looked fine.

About a week later I was eating and still had the pain and all the sudden I couldnt swallow. Like my esophagus got a sharp pain near the bottom and it shooted out to the right side of my chest and up my shoulder. It was scary and it stayed that way for over a month. It got so bad I wasnt really even drinking water so i went to the ER and they told me I probably had an ulcer. I had a scope done. NO ULCER. Then they told me get your gallbladder checked. Well a few days after the ER i had to go back beacause i was passing a Kidney stone (bad timing) So they did an abdominal CT scan, all came back find besides the kidney stone. I had a abdominal ultra sound that showed everything was good gallbladder and all and then i had a HIDA scan that showed i have an overactive gallbladder, but shouldnt be causing pain. By this point my general anxiety turned into full blown health anxiety.

Went back to a walk in at this point because by now had been to the ER twice and was in full blown panic something was wrong with me, about a month went by of pain swallowing and i lost to date about 15lbs (118-103) which im small framed but I never wanted to be this small and it really freaked me out and made me fear something more health wise because of the weight loss even though i KNEW it was from not eating.

The doctor asked if i had been anxious and said it could be Globus Hysteria where your muscles tighten, usually in the throat but can happen in the chest. Well i looked it up and it made me feel a lot better mentally like i wasnt dying and within a week it went away. But i was still left with chest pain. I CONTINUED to worry about this and then I got a really bad UTI which landed me back in the ER and stressed me out AGAIN. So everything got worse again.... its just been a bumpy right

Currently im experencing chest pain (COSTO) tiredness, stiffness, pins and needs, muscle twitching, pain, muscle tightness especially in my right leg Bad TMJ, and IBS. like shit basically

Anyway now its been about 2 1/2 months now I have bad IBS symptoms from all this. Finally the doc put me on ZOLOFT only on 25mg right now for a week. Just waiting for thinks too look up because all this is so not like me at all even though i always have been a worrier I have never been through this in my life it was just a snow ball effect. Today has been a good day but some days are bad where i relaps into full blown health anxiety.

Just looking for some advice Ive seen my college counselor a few times which has kinda helped but not really, i start actual therapist on monday. Im just ready to be a normal happy 24year old again. Its putting stress on my relationship and school i graduate in DEC.

Some days its so hard to convince myself all this is anxiety... its crazy to me.

Any advice on therapy, symptoms, relief, medication PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE respond

Thank you!

Hi student. You are definitely not alone!!! It is extremely common for full-blown Health Anxiety to develop in this way (from physical symptoms leading to a trip to the ER which then leads to a cascade of other symptoms combined with worrying about the symptoms, which causes more symptoms...... ) Plus it sounds like you had some stress in your life prior to the physical symptoms starting (moving to a new apartment and your bf moving away).

Even though I totally get it (we all do) when you say that some days it's so hard to convince yourself that this is just anxiety, actually, this is exactly how an anxiety disorder often works.

I think it's great you are starting therapy and that your doctor has put you on Zoloft. The Zoloft alone could well knock some of these symptoms on the head, or, at the very least, break the cycle of worrying about them and causing more symptoms. I've had costochondritis before and I also get muscle stiffness, especially in my back, and IBS type stuff, not to mention awful headaches/migraines. Anxiety and stress often bring these types of symptoms with them. Hopefully your therapist will go over some CBT with you and perhaps you could look into things like meditation or some kind of relaxation exercises to try and help your body calm down.

You are doing all the right things in terms of getting help and I really hope you start feeling better soon!
    Last edited by tailspin; 09-27-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    Remember, you only live once. That's why it's so important to spend at least 15 hours a day on the internet seeking validation from total strangers - Chris Rock

(Check!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    )

Hells bells, ....anxiety if I ever heard it(with all due respect). This is a textbook example of anxiety IMHO. Please focus on the fact that you are anxious, not really sick. Yes, I know anxiety is hard/tricky but please just don't be distracted and chase symptoms. Try to see why you are anxious and address it. Yes I know it's easier said than done. PM me any time. Alankay

First off, I'm sorry that you are going through this.. health anxiety can really spiral out of control--I recently developed a bad case obsessively worrying about my heart. It got so bad to the point I stopped exercising and every little chest pain sent me freaking out.
    It really helps to just calm down and put things in perspective. You've been to the doctor and you are okay. When there is a pain, the first thing to do is just be calm and try your best to ignore it. Sure it keeps nagging, knocking on the door and persisting, but you can fight with calmness. I found out the hard way that freaking out and giving in to my worries makes things SO much worse!

It's amazing all the things that anxiety can cause..and it can really make us think that we are loosing our minds. But it helps to know that the things anxiety does to us is not life threatening..I highly recommend finding things that distract you--a hard thing to do when you feel a pain. But I find being active and busy helps..I basically try not to give my brain time to worry, if that makes sense..find some music you love and turn up the volume--basically don't give your anxiety any fuel.

Good luck to you, and you have support here!
    "Fear is static that prevents me from hearing myself."

Thank you all for the replys its truely means alot when i feel so alone going through this, I never really realized what anxiety was til i had all these symtpoms. The pain is definatly there just going to take it one day at a time and get my life back! Im still not sure if i want to keep taking the zoloft im gonna give it a try but dont want to have to rely on a med. for happiniess, thats what scares me.

bump for more input?*

I second every thing that's been said here. It seems to me that, aside from some health problems, you also have to contend with your boyfriend having moved and to graduating from school come this December. Those will cause anxiety as well. I don't think you should fear medication. I've taken Zoloft for 18 years; it's not been a burden to me. I am glad to have it. I have terrible chest pains on occasion, and I worry about swallowing too. I take tiny little bites and drink lots of water. Seeing a therapist should be helpful. Keep us informed as to how you are doing. You are not alone.

ok thank you.... its just been diffucult to come to terms with like this is all really anxiety when i feel so sick and loosing weight

I hear you. I think you are doing everything you should be doing. I lost 20 pounds from anxiety. No appetite. The Zoloft should help that a bit.

Oh that esophageal spasm stuff can really make you feel terrible. Sometimes the best thing I do when confronted with something like this is to just sit down take deep breaths and while I'm doing that go over things in my mind and try to calm down just a little. I've found that a 2 mg of Ativan helps in about 20 minutes if for nothing more than to slow your heart rate and calm you down. Also sometimes when you go to the doctor and he says you don't have something you think you have (like the costo), treat it any way. A few ibuprofen and some warm compresses at the pain site may ease the pain. I hope things look up for you, having a hard time myself these days but am muddling through. Take care.