Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Dad's car got stolen and burnt out?

hello. i've never properly used a forum before so sorry if i'm terrible.
    last night at about 4am my dad's car got stolen and burnt out. i woke up to the police banging on the door so that freaked me out. and then my dad explained in the morning what happened. ugh that made no sense. i'm better at explaining in dot points so:

• the police were at my back door at 4am
    • dad and them had a chat for awhile and it turned out his car had been driven to the other side of town and burnt
    • i freaked out and couldn't sleep for the rest of the night
    • i have a dog and she normally barks her head off at anyone friend or foe (she lost her marbles when the police came through the gate)
    • yet she made no noise whatsoever to indicate someone taking the car
    • right now its 11:41pm and i'm writing this to avoid going to sleep
    • i don't want to sleep in case the people who stole the car try and break into the house
    • but i'll have to sleep eventually as i have school tomorrow
    • we have no alarm system on the house and i'm physically disabled so i can't really defend myself

please help me to feel better. i don't really know how you could but i guess just knowing what it feels like to have your brain freak out is a good start.
    sorry if the dot points didn't make sense either, like i said it's quite late and im also shaking so :c <3

Hey ghostskie. Welcome to the site. I'm really sorry such a stressful thing happened to you last night. That would freak anyone out. I understand why you would be scared to go to sleep tonight, but it sounds like you live with your Dad so you are not alone in the house? Can you ask your Dad to keep an eye on you? Sorry your dog didn't bark when the people came to steal the car. But I bet she would go nuts if someone tried to enter the house. If the car is parked on the street away from the house, it makes sense that she might not have heard anything, or she would just have assumed that it was regular street noise. It seems absolutely certain that your dog would cause a ruckus if anyone broke into your house though.

I definitely understand why you're feeling so freaked out. What you experienced last night is horrible. This site is a good resource and there are tons of friendly people here, so I hope that spending time on this forum will help you.