Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear of travel

Fear of travel

My one year wedding anniversary is coming up and since we didn't have a honeymoon, I promised my husband we would go away for our one year. We already booked a trip to the Dominican Republic for October 7! I'm terrified! I haven't been on a plane since I was 12 and he's never been on one but of course he's excited. I need to get over this I do. But how?

Aweee! Try not to be so nervous hun. Be excited you get to spend this time together. Just stay calm, hold his hand, think about the good times you'll have and all that good stuff.

Yeah I'm trying to think that way. It's just so hard because I haven't been that far away from home in so long. And I really want to do this for him because I've travelled before all this started 11 years ago. He never did and he deserves it!

Have you seen a doc about your anxiety. I use some valium for flights and would not fly without it but that just my situation.
    If your anxiety is not "that bad" I bet your just experiencing anticipatory anxiety and will be OK once you get going. Alankay

Well not recently. I've been on lexapro for 11 years now simply because I'm afraid to switch meds :/ It's clearly not working anymore but I do have klonopins for emergencies but I haven't taken one in years. I have a fear of meds. Lol but I'm going to have to do something for this trip.

Klonpin will do the trick alright. When you get back maybe talk with your doc about trying zoloft or Prozac. Alankay

Ugh I've tried Zoloft twice in the past. First time it worked, lots of weight gain. Second time I almost lost it. I was soooooo anxious and paranoid. Never again. Yeah I'm gonna experiment with the klonopin now so I can see how it'll work.

I totally understand your fear of traveling. I have it too and as a result I started to avoid flying. That was a big mistake!! So I think it's GREAT you are going on this trip even though you are scared. That is awesome of you! And I really hope it's a super positive experience. As Alankay suggests, I would definitely have a smalll stash of sedatives at the ready to help you with the flying part. It's good you're going to take a Klonopin ahead of time to see how you react to it and to gauge the dosage you might need. Good luck and hope you have a wonderful time!
    Last edited by tailspin; 09-13-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Well anyway klonopin is a great anxiety killer so you have that. By all means go!!!! Hell yes! Just know you have the kpins if needed. They are known to be very effective for anxiety/panic and they worked for me when a doc said it was her "preferred" benzo for anxiety/panic. I just take valium because it works, works fast and it very cheap. Alankay

Some people suck on mint when they go on air flights. Apparently it keeps them calm.