Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Agoraphobia is when you avoid going places for fear of having a panic attack. Your world gradually becomes smaller. Then the agoraphobia makes you depressed because you're not going out and enjoying yourself as you used to. Then you fear the depression and that adds to the anxiety that makes the agoraphobia worse and so and so on.

Sometimes agoraphobia is selective. You can go out to certain places you feel comfortable along familiar routes. Sometimes your ok if you go someplace with someone.

In some cases you fear going out to an appointment that you must attend but if you get through it without a panic attack you get a boost of confidence and stay out longer maybe even into a busy shop!

Sometimes you go someplace new and curiosity overtakes the anxiety and you return feeling good. But if you do that same journey again with no curiosity the anxiety will take over. So its difficult.

Sometimes you need a warm up. Go somewhere that will slightly boost your anxiety then come back slowly so much that you enjoy the journey back. then go to another place that would have seemed impossible at the start and you may find that you can do that without fear!

When I was 11 I didn't leave the house for a year. It got to the point where leaving my room debilitated me. I feel I had had agoraphobia many years prior to this. School was really hard and I'm not sure how I managed for so many years. Bad habits come back, hiding in your room thinking that it'll be ok for just another day alone. It rips at all your progress. Sometimes it feels like you have just got agoraphobia for the first time. You have to work all the time to get better. You can't stop. And when I work hard it becomes easier to cope with.

Checkout my post about Agoraphobia, I think its quite descriptive.

i think im your guy. im a 48 yr old man and have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks since about age 6. ive been under treatment, of one form or another, since age 8. including a year of inpatient. i have been completely housebound for the last 12 years.

Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    i think im your guy. im a 48 yr old man and have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks since about age 6. ive been under treatment, of one form or another, since age 8. including a year of inpatient. i have been completely housebound for the last 12 years.
    Wow. Welcome to the forum
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

wow such a terrible condition and somewhat feeling it myself