Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: coming out..

coming out..

How do you tell friends and family that you have an anxiety disorder? I've lost alot of friends because of the way I am (avoiding situations etc) and I have become isolated.

I couldn't even begin to describe it and I'm worried it could isolate me further or they will treat me as if I'm a weirdo.

My family know all too well how I feel and what I suffer from. They often understand because you are part of them. I am sure what u feel is at least somewhat of how they feel. They may not understand 100% but I am sure they know what is going on and want the best for you.

Thanks Marlow, I appreciate the reply. I know what you say is true however I dont think its socially acceptable to tell people you have an 'mental illness'.

I know I would be treated differently and I'm not sure I can handle that.

You might find, though, that there is someone who actually does understand what you are going through. I've definitely experienced the clueless and ignorant reactions, but I've also found that among my closest family and friends, quite a few people had been through similar things and could actually really relate. It seems to be one of those things that a lot of people don't talk about because they are worried about how others are going to react, but sometimes I think if we talked about it more we could find more relief and build an even better support system!

Iron guy... Don't feel at all like people will think you're a weirdo ! You will pleasantly surprised that SO many people have been or are suffering just like us!! I was so low in life that I didn't really care how people felt if I told them, but to my surprise even the ones who you think have no feelings for anyone ...haha...they can easily relate to you! One other thing I found out is that you find out quickly who your "good" friends are! Don't be embarrassed at all.....talk to everyone about it....it helps!!

Take Care!